Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

12 week notice for band 6 post! Anyone in NHS know if this is common?

(18 Posts)
aimingforthesky Sun 02-Oct-11 16:40:57

Been in this post for 5 yrs and now been offered new position - different trust - all good except I have 12 weeks notice written into my old contract. New employers would like me to start asap and commented that 12 weeks notice is not usual.

I plan to hand my notice in tomorrow but plan speak to line manager first. I thought there may be a better chance of flexibility if 12 weeks notice is not usually the case?

Anyway just thought I would consult the wisdom of mn for any thoughts.

tiredemma Sun 02-Oct-11 16:42:49

Im band 6 but my trust stipulates 8 weeks. 12 weeks sounds very unusual

aimingforthesky Sun 02-Oct-11 16:49:23

Thanks for that tiredemma. 8 weeks would be much better for me- could get started before christmas.

Lougle Sun 02-Oct-11 16:50:12

8 weeks for a TP1 post (Band 5 eq.)

lolaminola Sun 02-Oct-11 16:58:28

I'm band 6 and was told 12 weeks recently. But spoke to HR as i'd just applied for a job and told them a month without thinking. Our HR woman said quietly to me that the Trust couldn't do anything if i left sooner so not to worry. She said just get your references and take your remaining leave, then you can probably negotiate or just leave earlier, they can't do anything!

aimingforthesky Sun 02-Oct-11 17:07:38

I did wonder what would happen if I just gave 8 wksnotice ? Technically a breach of contract I suppose but would they do anything about it?

mousesma Sun 02-Oct-11 17:44:25

I'm sure that under Afc bands 6 and 7 require 8 weeks notice and only band 8a and above require 12 weeks.

ceebeegeebies Sun 02-Oct-11 17:57:16

I am fairly certain, without reading Agenda for Change, that Band 6 posts and above are 3 months notice (.e. 12 weeks). I am Band 6 and I am definitely on 12 3 months notice.

ginmakesitallok Sun 02-Oct-11 18:03:35

I'm sure I just have to give 4 weeks (band 7) Notice periods aren't covered by agenda for change I think? They are down to local negotiation?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Oct-11 18:06:13

I'm on Band 6 and have 4 week notice period.

Northernlurker Sun 02-Oct-11 18:09:34

Dh is an 8 and has three months in his contract. I think it varies from location to location but there is definately room for negotiation.

LaurenLaverne Sun 02-Oct-11 19:23:20

I think it can vary from trust to trust, we are renegotiating notice periods at our trust at the moment. We have band 6 - 1 month notice, band 7 - 2 months notice, and 8 upwards- 3 months. Management would like to extend these, especially the band 6 one.

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Sun 02-Oct-11 19:26:58

Band 6 and 8 weeks here. I thought it was in AFC too.

aimingforthesky Sun 02-Oct-11 21:15:09

Lovely - thank you all. It seems that most Band 6 posts are less than 12 weeks. I am not great with this sort of negotiation but hope my Trust are going to give a bit!

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 02-Oct-11 21:17:10

I was sure I had to give 8 weeks notice (Band 6) however I started my job on the old G Grade so it may have change under AfC - I haven't looked closely. smile

fledtoscotland Mon 03-Oct-11 00:18:38

Im a Band 6 and on a 4 wks notice. I dont know if it depends on what role you have as a band 6 (eg District nurse with case load that would need arranging cover)

TheDetective Mon 03-Oct-11 00:40:43

I'm a band 6 - previous post was 4 weeks. 5 weeks after starting new post, I received my contract and am horrified that it says 8 weeks notice!! I plan to make enquiries into this - surely things like this should be pointed out before you start!!! So I understand how you feel with a 12 week notice period!!!

Northernlurker Mon 03-Oct-11 08:18:18

They shouldn't have taken 5 weeks to get the contract to you. I gave my new starter his contract (terms of employment) on his first day! However a Band 6 post usually has some management responsibilities and there is increasingly a trend to longer notice periods so these get handed over properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now