Talk

Advanced search

Employment/redundancy - what the hell do i do now

(4 Posts)
DuffyMoon Tue 27-Sep-11 13:08:34

AM hoping someone can help

Have been a civil servant for 21 years and have been told my job will probably be made redundant. The thing is I have no idea what I want to do/jobs to go into - the jobs around my area seem to be bingo callers hmm /bar staff and doorpersons.

I am thinking of maybe retraining/going to college but want to look for courses with the greatest chance of employment. Does anyone know which professions are in demand or recommend their job... I do feel I would like to move into more health/caring professions but dont want to do a course where even if you qualify there are very few jobs or an area which is cut whenever there are funding problems.

Has anyone else re-trained mid life?

TIA

PS I realise that if I dont know what to do with myself no-one else will but all tips/advice etc gratefully received thanks

Grevling Tue 27-Sep-11 16:08:04

Does your job equivalent exist in the private sector?

LIZS Tue 27-Sep-11 16:10:38

Normally they offer outplacement resources which would give you time to re-evaluate your skills and have advice about possible related careers.

DuffyMoon Tue 27-Sep-11 17:36:27

not really equivalent in private sector...I feel like I want to change my life but dont know in which direction. I suppose I would like to go in a direction where there will be a future...a profession that is always "needed" and is enjoyable/rewarding. I have very little self confidence so inside I do want to change things but am scared to do so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now