Talk

Advanced search

38 weeks pregnant and have seen a job I like the look of - do I have any rights if I apply?

(10 Posts)
cokefloat Thu 22-Sep-11 16:01:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kenobi Thu 22-Sep-11 16:05:57

They cannot discriminate against you for being pregnant but sadly I can assure you you won't get the job. You would need to go on maternity at just the point they need you to start working which is of zero use to them.

If by some amazing chance you did get the job, they would not have to pay you maternity leave as you have not worked for them for at least 26 weeks, though they would still have to let you have the time off. So it wouldn't be a great financial asset to you though of course there would still be a job at the end of it.

cokefloat Thu 22-Sep-11 16:17:38

kenobi Thu 22-Sep-11 16:26:56

oh no, I absolutely know that fizzy feeling you get when you see a job you love and I feel bad for ruining your buzz.
Please don't NOT go for the job because of what I've said - but just be prepared for it not to be the result you want.

Of course in an ideal world you'd go for the interview, not get the job but the person who DID get it would be incompentent and they'd give you a call in about 9 months time, just when you would be able to work grin

cokefloat Thu 22-Sep-11 16:33:30

ArmageddonOuttahere Thu 22-Sep-11 16:36:23

If you 100% fit the bill above all other candidates, and the second choice candidate is prepared to take the job on essentially as your maternity cover then it could be a go-er <devil's avocado>

ICapturedTheKitchen Thu 22-Sep-11 16:43:09

I went for one at 32 weeks - I was HUGE, couldn't even get up the stairs after the person taking me to my interview room . . .

Warned them that I'd be getting an elective cs, probably at 36 weeks - they said, fine, as long as you're back 10 days later. In fact, we don't want you to go any later as that would be really inconvenient for us.

I got the job - stupidly, I accepted it. Funnily enough, it didn't go too well . . .

RedHelenB Fri 23-Sep-11 13:04:02

Hopefully all the candidates will be rubbish & it will be readvertised after the baby is born.

csla Mon 26-Sep-11 11:26:11

I would go for it. My friend has just been appointed 8 months pregnant and she's taking 9 months mat leave. Their view was that she's right for the position (housing officer) long term and so 9 months in the big scheme of things is worth it so theyre currently looking for a mat cover as well. Go for it. You never know. Good luck.

Vinividivino Fri 30-Sep-11 08:34:16

I agree-still go for the job, definitely! At the very least, the interview experience will be useful for the next time a similar job comes up. Although go easy on yourself if you are heavily pregnant.

Prepare ahead of the interview to be very honest with them about how much time you plan to take off, how you would plan to manage the job with childcare. A credible plan for making it work will impress them and also gives them an opportunity to see if they can rearrange existing resources temporarily, if you are the right person for the role. And, even if the timing is not right now, you'll be on their radar as a highly credible candidate which stands you in good stead if another job with that firm ever came up again. Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now