Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

freelance struggling to support family

(4 Posts)
somewherebecomingrain Wed 21-Sep-11 21:25:53

I'm a freelancer who has about 3 regular clients and various intermittent ones, working to support my family. My partner is constantly on the verge of making it big in his dream job - to give him credit, he definitely is close - but he's not earned for a long time. My working life isn't terrible - my clients seem pretty happy with me but I just don't have enough clients.

Anyway it's getting very precipitous - we're on month 4 of a potential 6 month mortgage holiday.

I just went for a 6 month contract that would have solved all our problems and didn't get it - discovered that someone had been lined up for the job and I'd never had a chance. (Apparently they thought I was good, just not as good as the other person. Not much help!)

I'm feeling quite punctured. and sort of sore through my body.

I had a dream last night that it was raining and all the ceilings were dripping - our roof just didn't work.

Anyone else?

CocktailQueen Wed 21-Sep-11 22:32:15

That sounds really tough. On you! How long has your dp been not earning?? I think you need to give him a deadline to 'make it big' then ask him to get a paying job. He could always give it up if he did make it big. It's not fair on you, imo, to provide for the family while he is trying to live a dream.

northerngirl41 Thu 22-Sep-11 17:34:06

I have news for you.... you're not doing it right! Being a freelancer should mean that notonly are you making decent money, you are also making enough money to cover your tax, your marketing and the lean periods when bsuiness is slow!
Have you tried "the Wealthy Freelancer"? Great book with some top tips.
Could you raise your rates even 10%?
Is there scope for getting more bog standard work which you have a set procedure for?

And partner "making it big".... hmm. Can you set a time limit on it with an action plan of what he is going to do in order to achieve his goal? And a back up plan about how he is going to go and get a proper job if he doesn't achieve the goal? Let him set the timescale so it's realistic, but make sure he's accountable on a very real basis - there should be deadlines, amounts of money and specific targets he has to hit.

somewherebecomingrain Sat 24-Sep-11 11:29:39

blimey. you are very sensible both of you. I was a freelancer between 2005 and 2008 and I worked constantly - I never had a holiday, only weekends away. So I think it's economic factors. But maybe I haven't done everything I can do. I will check out this book.

there is good news - dp has been offered money and been swept up into bosom of the organisation where he was working for free. there are still a few ifs and buts as the organisation (a tiny but amazing one) is caught in finalising a big project at the mo. He said he was going to have to leave and that was the response.

Personally feeling so unmotivated at the moment. Once worked in a really horrible company with a bullying culture and since then have been really sensitive about work. Not getting that job has opened old wounds - when the director phoned me up to say I hadn't got it he almost bollocked me, it felt like. He was a bit odd to be honest.

Anyway it's important to be upbeat when looking for work and new clients - should I steam ahead or wait till I feel better?

Should I cold call?

I will check out 'the wealthy freelancer'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now