Well, well, well ... this is hypothetical at this point. I have name changed for this but am a regular on other boards.
I have verbally accepted a position with Company A last week.
Since then, Company B has asked me to come back for second interview. For various reasons, I have decided to go.
Company B is my fantasy job. It is close to home, offers more money and better prospects. If they offer it to me, I would be an idiot not to take it.
I know its not "nice" or the done thing to reject a job one accepted but this stuff must happen all the time, right? I mean, I have been shafted before by a company "changing its mind" after having made an offer .
Would they have any legal re-dress though if I DID do this? Bearing in mind I could turn up for a day and then resign. They would just be really really right? (and understandably so!).
I did this recently. Job 1 was 20 hrs/wk all year, Job 2 was 17.5 hrs/wk 38 wks/yr & a job I really wanted.
At the end of the day I made the best decision for me, I tried to phone but only got voice mail, so emailed explaining I had been offered a role that fit better with my family commitments. They were fine about it & thanked me for letting them know. Hopefully they had a 2nd choice as they did interview 8 people. So not only did I get a job I preferred somebody else who thought they didn't get the job subsequently got it I hadn't actually signed a contract though, it was just a verbal acceptance.