Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone see a way to manage this?

(18 Posts)
HarrietJones Tue 20-Sep-11 10:06:45

I've just returned to work and am breastfeeding and my team are taking it in turns to do a task that involves 6 hours work where I will be with clients and unable to leave them.

I don't want to make a fuss( or refuse to do it as it's not fair on everyone) but I start to hurt after that long without feeding/pumping.

There is also a possibility that the times of this work may be changed to finishing 7:30-8pm , can I refuse this due to needing to be home to feed? I live about 40 mins away

Our hours are 7-7 flexitime with core hours of 10-4.

An0therName Tue 20-Sep-11 10:42:27

how old is your baby?
Also 6 hours without a break sounds a long time - would you not be able to have 1/2 hour in the middle - if not then could you pump before and after the task starts - I think a one off is reasonable.
Finish time - again if its a one off - I would try and do it - I would do a practice bed time with out you before hand - as for lots of reasons its good to know that your DC can settle without you
i

hairylights Tue 20-Sep-11 11:41:26

have a look at this link

Page 32 is relevant.

Your employer must support you - and I'd be expecting them to make any necessary adjustments to your working pattern.

An0therName Tue 20-Sep-11 11:48:15

I am sure you have the "right" to refuse - its just that for a one off is it worth it - and this is someone who has BF after going back to work

Akandra Tue 20-Sep-11 12:10:45

If you don't want to do this whilst BF (if your supply is low fir example then even a one off can be a problem) then they do have to support you. You might want to create some good will by offering to do any turns you miss after you stop BF (if it's one if those things no one really wants to do which I assume it is).

HarrietJones Tue 20-Sep-11 12:21:01

She's 11 months so more a matter of hasn't gone to bed without merather than has.

6 hour thing is an issue of length of time. I can't go that long without getting inflated. 4 hours is driving & 2 hours work but not allowed to leave the clients unsupervised and I'd be on my own.

Y it's v much one of those things no one wants. It's ( hopefully ) a v short term thing so not likely to be doing it when I stop bf. I'm willing to do my share but it is making me sore( suppose potentially risking mastitis but it's not got that far)

Grevling Tue 20-Sep-11 22:50:22

Can't you drive to where ever you're going and express before/after meeting the clients?

Ask for a private meeting room and take a cool box in the car.

Your employer has to support you and make reasonable adjustments to help you but also you can be said to have to make reasonable adjustments to help yourself. You have to think is there a way I can reasonably express and still do the job.

I'd have to say as you only need to babysit them for 2 hours out of the 6 there is more than likely a way around this just depends how accommodating you feel. Never underestimate the good will generated by doing something no one wants to do. Your team may not thank you for not doing your share.

HarrietJones Wed 21-Sep-11 08:02:41

I'm transporting clients.

HarrietJones Wed 21-Sep-11 08:03:57

And supervising them for the whole6 hours. I'd thought of that and then it was changed.

An0therName Wed 21-Sep-11 13:41:53

how often do you express normally - I would have thought with an 11 mo you could go 6 hours without too many problems. it might be a bit uncomfortable but thats it

HarrietJones Wed 21-Sep-11 14:21:40

I usually do once in a day at work (8 1/2 hours).

My milk still spontaneously comes inconfused

Anyway My turn has been cancelled this week & looks like it's finishing so none of us will be doing it<phew>

WidowWadman Wed 21-Sep-11 18:06:57

Your body should actually be able to adapt pretty quickly at that age if you don't pump - I returned to work full time and gave up pumping pdq as my daughter had no interest in expressed milk whatsoever and so only breastfed evenings/nights during the week, but still daytime when I was available, e.g. weekends/holidays. After the first few days of not pumping there was no more discomfort or anything, and my supply wasn't affected negatively either

WidowWadman Wed 21-Sep-11 18:07:38

meant to say I returned when she was 9 months old

lisad123 Wed 21-Sep-11 18:15:26

Maybe I was not normal but don't remember getting that inflated when dd2 was this age.

HarrietJones Wed 21-Sep-11 19:28:59

I'm not normal judging by talking to others blush I was soaked through 2 breastpads & 2 layers of tops in a meeting the other dayblush

Im working with a lot of babies /toddlers at the moment which really isn't helping.

HarrietJones Wed 21-Sep-11 19:31:40

Anyway the problem doesn't seem to be going to be happening now. So thanks for all the help but I think I'm just a bit over supplied!

lisad123 Wed 21-Sep-11 19:33:18

We always worked on the reasoning of if you express more, your body makes more. I think I can guess what your job is, and would have struggled to do it when dds were little as it's not very flexible sometimes. sad

HarrietJones Wed 21-Sep-11 19:44:37

Yes think we talked before about it under my previous name. It's not great especially now everything's been slashed. But there's nothing else out there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now