Talk

Advanced search

asked to do work on maternity leave/ sick leave

(7 Posts)
Sleepy27 Sat 17-Sep-11 18:41:21

Hi,

I've been off work with stress for a while and I'm now going to be on maternity leave. My work have sent me a letter asking me to do some analysis work for them (its the first thing I've heard since having to stop work). It doesn't surprise me because I'm off with stress for a reason - they can be very unreasonable!

I am quite upset about it but I wondered what other people might think, and whether anyone knows if they actually have the right to contact me in this way. I know that when on maternity leave the employer can be in 'reasonable contact' about changes at work etc, but surely they aren't allowed to tell me to do work for them!? Has this happened to anyone else out there?

Thank you!

Grumpla Sat 17-Sep-11 18:45:54

Nope, they can ASK you to do up to ten days KIT (Keep In Touch) days during your maternity leave. There's loads of info about KIT on the direct gov website, but basically it's an individual arrangement between you and your employer and they can't force you to do any of it.

flowery Sun 18-Sep-11 14:50:06

They can ask you to do KIT days during your mat leave but you can say no as Grumpla says. Is it maternity leave or sick leave they want you to work it? You mention both in your thread title.

Whether you are justified in being upset by their request really depends on how much of a 'request' rather than an 'instruction' it was. What did they actually say? Did they mention KIT days?

Sleepy27 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:06:55

Thanks for advice!! Its not a request, and they don't make any mention of KIT days, its just a letter that says we need this work done, send it back when you've done it and any problems completing it then get in touch. It isn't something I left unfinished or anything, its a new piece of work that they want to do to feed into their overall analysis and planning.

They are right on the boundary of sick leave and maternity pay. They sent the letter out the day before the sick leave ended, so technically maybe its the rules behind the sick leave that I should be thinking about.

Either way I it reminds me of why I left in the first place!

GwendolineMaryLacey Sun 18-Sep-11 20:23:39

I would have thought that if they sent it out the day before sick leave ended, then they accepted that you would receive it, at the earliest the day sick leave ended so I don't think that lets them off the hook.

flowery Sun 18-Sep-11 20:35:06

I would write back thanking them for their letter, saying you understand you are able to do up to 10 'Keeping in Touch' days during your maternity leave, which are entirely optional, however you do not wish to do any at present so will not be able to do the work.

They do sound a bit rubbish!

Sleepy27 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:45:17

flowery, that sounds very tactful and sensible! Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now