Talk

Advanced search

Term-time only job & pro rata salary: how does this work?

(4 Posts)
Meandacat Thu 15-Sep-11 15:50:17

Would anyone be able to help me with how pay is worked out on a term-time only job?

I've seen a position I'm interested in at a high school, which is term-time only and the salary states it is pro-rata. Here are my questions:

- am I correct in assuming that you still get paid in equal, 12-monthly instalments?
- how much of the year would I actually be paid for? I worked out that out of the 52 weeks of the year, 13 of those are school holiday, i.e. 25%. So I assumed this position would be paid 75% of the stated salary. But then someone mentioned to me about paid holidays. The job also states there is an annual leave entitlement of 4 weeks + public holidays (pro rated), but I can't work out how this relates to the fact that I would be working term time only OR how this impacts on the salary! Help!

My main concern is simply to work out a ball-park of what my final pay would be. As at the moment, given personal circumstances, it's on the borderline between acceptable and unaffordable.

HarrietJones Thu 15-Sep-11 15:51:59

43 weeks /52 ish plus any other pro rataing from 37 hours to ?

nocake Thu 15-Sep-11 16:07:46

Firstly, don't assume you'll be paid in 12 monthly instalments. You probably will be you should ask.

The way holidays are worked out for part time staff is to add the amount of holiday to the public holidays (20 + 8 = 28). Pro rata this amount (28 * 0.75 = 21). That gives you the amount of holiday you're entitled to but it includes any public holidays that fall on days you normally work. So, if 5 public holidays are on days you normally work you'll have 16 days holiday to take on other days.

Holidays won't have any impact on the salary. If the job is for 75% of full time then you'll be paid 75% of the full time salary.

23balloons Thu 15-Sep-11 22:37:32

I have worked in schools & holidays do count as part of the salary. Usually term time only means 38 weeks or 39 with inset days, then the holiday allowance is paid on top as you are not actually allowed to take any holidays during the 38/39, weeks so they pay for the amount of holidays you are due on top of the salary. Generally they will quote something like 0.78 of fte or 0.65 or whatever so you could actually ring HR & ask what percentage of fte the job is paying & then you will know the final figure. I for example have just got a 17.5hr/38wk job & it is paying 0.4 or so with hols (0.35 without) when I worked 20hrs/38 wks it was 0.5

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now