Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this fair?

(20 Posts)
Ladypunk Thu 15-Sep-11 12:55:19

Hello All,

I'll get to the point on this one (I've been moaning elsewhere - I'm not generally a moaner by the way...).

I'm due to go on ML shortly, and have been talking to my boss about who's going to cover my maternity leave. This is because I'm the only person who does what I do in the company I work for, and so far, no one has been training to cover my role. Anyway... this weekend just gone, a friend of mine said that she'd seen my job advertised online (she works in recruitment, and so stumbled on it). I've taken a look, and the role is for a senior position to mine for a lot more money. But it is advertised as a maternity cover.

I've been pushing for promotion since I've been there and, I haven't been given a chance to apply for this senior position. What else is strange, is that the job description fits mine perfectly (I would say I even do more than what's in the description), yet as I say, it's senior to mine.

Is this a little odd?

LP X

Mummawummadooda Thu 15-Sep-11 14:26:41

its rather more than odd potentially.

Could you ask your boss for a copy of the JD released for your role. You need to be sure its the same one. Looks like it is not quite the same thing.

Ladypunk Thu 15-Sep-11 15:10:41

That's interesting - why do you say, 'it's rather more than odd potentially'? I'd be curious to know more...

It absolutely is my job description, but with a more senior title. In fact, all they've done is taken my job title, and stuck 'senior' in front of it?

Strange!

prh47bridge Thu 15-Sep-11 15:55:44

It may be entirely innocent. As the job is being advertised as maternity cover they will probably have to pay significantly more than they would for a permanent person. I have come across companies that are so anal about their pay grades they end up making the temporary post more senior just so they can pay enough to get someone.

StillSquiffy Thu 15-Sep-11 16:42:04

I worked in an industry where it was standard to stick meaningless titles in front of jobs in order to get more applicants in.

I would check if it's your role they're filling and if so wait until the person is hired and announced before then asking them to confirm that you will be returning after ML to the new job title.

Ladypunk Thu 15-Sep-11 16:49:42

Thanks for all the responses.

It is my role they're filling, as there's no other people going on maternity. If the role is above mine, then, I'd have applied for it!

And making up a temporary post? Blimey, I've never heard of that. And if it's not my role they're filling, again, why isn't it being advertised internally?

It's so strange!

prh47bridge Thu 15-Sep-11 17:39:26

I'm sure it is your role they are filling. The point I was trying to make is that they are almost certainly going to have to pay the person who covers your maternity leave significantly more than they pay you. It may be that they can only pay enough to get someone on a temporary basis if they give the role a more senior job title.

ginmakesitallok Thu 15-Sep-11 19:02:51

there's nothing to stop them filling your role however they want to - important thing is your rights once you return

Grevling Thu 15-Sep-11 23:46:37

How do you know it's senior to your role if you're the only one that does your job?

Ladypunk Fri 16-Sep-11 11:18:25

Because the only thing that's different to the overall desciption is that, they've added 'Senior' to my job title. When in reviews in the past, the boss has told me that that's how it could progress, with room for a Senior and then one under that senior, doing the role I do now. There is enough work for two people so I can see how that can work.

What I feel miffed about is the fact that I was never told about it. If they've now decided they're going to get a senior, then why not give me the opportunity to apply for it?

Ladypunk Fri 16-Sep-11 11:21:20

Hello prh47bridge,

Thanks for your response. I understand the higher pay thing, it's the job title thing I find odd. At that point does it not become a different job? Different pay and different title? Especially as this title has been discussed with me in a past review?

prh47bridge Fri 16-Sep-11 12:06:10

You keep getting hung up on "why wasn't I allowed to apply for this senior role". Please think it through logically. There is no permanent senior role. This job is being advertised as maternity cover. You can't cover your own maternity therefore there is no point giving you the opportunity to apply for it (although there is nothing stopping you from doing so as it is being advertised online). As it stands this job will disappear when you return to work. There is absolutely nothing to indicate that there will be a senior role available at that time.

flowery Fri 16-Sep-11 14:01:24

Have you actually asked your boss about it? Have you asked whether it is a sole post covering your maternity leave or a more senior post in addition to your own?

lollystix Fri 16-Sep-11 14:03:09

Yep - I would be pissed as in a similar situation myself but if they decide to make this senior mat cover person permanent when you come back I.e they could become your new boss, they should advertise as they're making the temp position into permanent and you could therefore apply. However in practice I find they can bend the rules how they like in my place to fit who they already want to get the job.

Ladypunk Fri 16-Sep-11 15:05:17

Lolly and Flowery, thanks for your comments.

Mmm. You see that's what I mean. What my thoughts are is, why not offer me the chance to apply for this position, and then look for cover for the role I do?

What I'm basically worried about, to get to the point, is, what if they're looking for fill a higher position and are not giving me the chance to apply because I'm pregnant? There, I've said it. And that is very naughty. But then, of course I could be jumping to conclusions and I will be asking the questions I need to. I just wondered if anyone on here had ever had a similar instance?

And as well, like you say lolly, will I have a new boss when I come back? Sooo...they got the promotion I wanted? And frankly feel I deserve a shot at going for?

Strange!

Grevling Fri 16-Sep-11 15:24:15

"Mmm. You see that's what I mean. What my thoughts are is, why not offer me the chance to apply for this position, and then look for cover for the role I do?"

Because then they'll have to cover 2 roles as you won't be there - so why would they do that.

Depends on what you do but I think they're asking for a "senior" what ever you are so they get someone with the skills and who doesn't need training and can do the job from day 1 while your off. It's really not that uncommon.

prh47bridge Fri 16-Sep-11 16:58:31

You said the position is advertised as maternity cover. Please try to focus on that fact because it is central to the whole situation. You keep talking about this job as if it is permanent. It isn't.

There is only you doing the job so it is maternity cover for you. That is the role being advertised. Do you really want to apply for a job as your own maternity cover? Yes it has a nicer job title than yours and it probably pays more, but it comes to an end as soon as you return to work. And, as it is your maternity cover, you can't be a candidate for this role. Based on what you have told us there is no position that you can apply for.

If the job was not advertised as maternity cover it would be another matter. Then you might have reason to feel aggrieved, although employers are not required to advertise jobs internally. And yes you may have reason to feel aggrieved if you return to work and find yourself reporting to whoever they take on. But on the information you have posted your employer is currently only guilty of trying to find someone to cover your job while you are away.

Ladypunk Fri 16-Sep-11 18:56:13

Grevling, I see what you mean, and I hadn't though about it in that way. Thanks smile

I think the best way to handle this is to have an open discussion with my boss. I'm sure then I'll get the answers I need and if not, I can always contact ACAS to discuss further.

Thanks peeps!

x

flowery Sat 17-Sep-11 11:50:01

By all means ask your boss, but listen to prh47 because your boss will say exactly the same thing imo

northerngirl41 Tue 20-Sep-11 09:32:54

The fact is, it's harder to recruit for maternity cover than for normal jobs because of the temporary nature of the work - no one in their right minds is going to leave a permanent job to cover a temp role unless there is a tangible benefit to them - i.e. more cash or better experience. The higher salary and better job title offsets the fact that it's temporary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now