Talk

Advanced search

2 jobs - tax query

(2 Posts)
cantmakepastry Wed 14-Sep-11 20:46:37

I have been a SAHM for 9 years and am venturing out into the big world again grin

I have landed myself 2 jobs. 1 is a permanent situation working bank hours and will very likely bring in under my personal allowance as only working 9-2 to cover hols etc. Job 2 is a one off month long contract doing 80 hrs which again will earn me total amount of about £600 at which point I will leave their employment to concentrate on job 1!

I obviously have no P45 so to avoid getting emergency tax coded etc, job 2 have asked me to fill out a P46 to show I have earnt zero so far. No problem. However, when I start job 1 next week.......what do I do then?!

Am confused. Do I need to ring tax office and explain? Thanks smile

Grevling Fri 16-Sep-11 12:13:21

You fill out a P46 for each role.

If it was me I'd fill out a P46 for the bank hours job saying "this is my main or only employment" - Option A on the form.

Fill out the 80 hours one saying this is my "second employment" - Option C on the form.

Then you'll get your personal allowance for job A and BR tax code on job C. You can tell HMRC at the end of the year if you don't use your personal allowance and they will refund the extra paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now