Talk

Advanced search

References in job Applications

(7 Posts)
CeciC Tue 13-Sep-11 11:34:00

I want to apply for a job for which I need to give 2 references. I was made redundant in June and I don't have the home addresses for my 2 managers.
I do have their email address. Is it ok to give email address?
I feel a little bit ignorant at this as the last time I applied for a job was 13 years ago.

Paschaelina Tue 13-Sep-11 11:37:49

I haven't applied for a job for 13 years, but I am aware it is policy of my last boss not to give references at all. She just sends a two line letter/email stating that she doesn't believe in them, doesn't use them herself and will not be imparting any information about the employee. Not sure what I will do when I go back to work.

I would have thought email and business address is fine.

whyme2 Tue 13-Sep-11 11:42:33

I was always under the impression that business addresses were to be used as it is a work reference. A personal reference can come from a home address though.

I am sure the business address with the person's name would be the best course.

Good luck with the job. smile

CeciC Tue 13-Sep-11 11:53:46

Thank you for the replies.
Well, my managers were made redundant as well as the business relocated.
What I will have to do is email them and ask them for their business address for their new jobs.
thanks again.

An0therName Tue 13-Sep-11 20:42:26

did the business relocate in the UK - because I would try and get a referene from the business - I think it looks bad if you don't have a reference coming from your former employer - you could ring the HR department and ask for a named contact - or if someone you worked with/for moved with the organisation maybe ask them?

Paschaelina - that's awful - but I wouldn't ever give a reference who I hadn't checked with that it was ok to do so - so if your last organisation had an HR department I would ask them instead

GnomeDePlume Tue 13-Sep-11 22:37:51

I'm in a similar position. I have two references, one is business which goes to the company HR department. The other is a contractor so I was able to give more detail.

Do not give personal reference information without checking with the referee first.

My former employer didnt allow its employees to give personal references.

CeciC Tue 13-Sep-11 22:54:26

The references will be not personal references but as ex-boss type references. There is still some parts of the business in the UK so I will give the HR department one reference. I have contacted my ex- managers and I am waiting for their replies.

Thanks again for the replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now