Talk

Advanced search

conscience vs job

(8 Posts)
vickibee Fri 09-Sep-11 05:54:47

Started my new job as a bookkeeper for a Landlord, manage hundreds or properties. What I didn;t realise was that each Autumn the top people go grouse shotting. I hate all blood sports and although not directly involved I have to get the wages ready for beaters and various other admin stuff. I can't beleive anyone would get enjoyment from this and can't understand why they can't use clays
Should I stay and turn a blind eye or find summat else

donthateme Fri 09-Sep-11 06:38:22

This sounds like one small aspect of your job. Your role is a bookeeper, so I don't think you should feel that you ought to give up. My take on it would be that I wouldn't work in an industry which I fundamentally disagreed with, eg I would not work in the tobacco industry, just as you would not work in blood sports, but in this case your job is admin, sorting wages etc, so focus on that

BigusBumus Fri 09-Sep-11 06:55:35

Out of interest, are you vegetarian?

Grevling Fri 09-Sep-11 07:22:27

Even if you don't prepare the wages for the beaters etc then someone will always spend their own pay packet on something you don't agree with and I don't see this as being much different. I'd stay.

vickibee Fri 09-Sep-11 07:29:33

Yes Bigus

Abra1d Fri 09-Sep-11 07:33:54

I don't approve of people taking deliberate pleasure in the suffering of animals, but if people are shooting birds and they are then being eaten, as grouse are, I can't see that it is more cruel than eating battery hens, who are raised in very cramped conditions.

BigusBumus Fri 09-Sep-11 08:16:02

That was what I was going to say. That's why I asked if you were a veggie. People think nothing of eating meat from intensively reared animals or birds who then have long journeys in lorries to the abattoir and hear / witness the deaths of their fellow animals. But often the same people complain about pheasant/ partridge/ grouse shooting. These birds are raised as poults by gamekeepers on an organic diet and when they have flight feathers they are free to go free range and organic being natural in the wild. Someone comes along with a shotgun and bang they are dead extremely quickly and 99% of time it's very accurate. Then they are divided up and eaten. It's about as far from cruel as you can get in terms if meat-eating.

I've been a veggie since the age of 6. But I met dp who shoots on a pheasant shoot and I was absolutely horrified, until I saw how it all worked and completely changed my opinion. I now go beating with my dog. And cook the pheasants ( but I have something else. Even my DCs eat it).

In terms of your job, I bet there's somebody who smokes, another with a gambling habit, another who smokes dope etc. You can't control what people do even if you disapprove. A job is very hard to come by and you'd be silly to give it up over this. Tbh I'd be more fuming that the top management are spending so much on their nice little jolly, do you know how expensive grouse shooting is!? It is unbelievably expensive!

Hope I don't sound patronising or anything. Am on my iPhone whilst simultaniously making breakfast for DCs. I could have worded that all a lot better! X

vickibee Fri 09-Sep-11 09:48:39

yes - we host the shoot days and people are paying £21000 for a days shooting, how the other half live?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now