Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

When should I start applying for jobs HR advice please....

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 11:09:04

Am due to give birth on Thursday and want to find a new job instead of returning to my current position. But the big question is when should I start looking/applying?

I am looking at returning to work may time and currently work pt but need to find a ft job.

What would you advise? Tia

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 12:02:25

well as a job seeker I would say its a tough market - but depends where you are and what your sector and expereince is - but have some time with the baby first so after christmas at the eairlest - could you go back to your old job if you had to? and of course you will need to sort childcare as some point - which is complex if you are not sure what you are doing or when = anyway good luck with the birth -

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 12:26:38

Thanks. That's why I'm do insure I think. There is a chance I won't be able to go back as it a fixed contract that finishes in mar. Would still get mat pay though till may though.

It's not that I have a specfic role/industry so licky on one way but open to more competition I guess.

How long would employers wait? From closing date to start date what's acceptable?

lateatwork Tue 06-Sep-11 14:45:40

cant help sorry...but have the same question so v interested in responses!!

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 21:52:49

I think a couple of months from job offer would be possible as lots of people have that as a notice period

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 22:10:09

So literally the new year then to prep cv, go through app process and interview process?

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 22:22:02

I guess so but bear in mind it might take longer to find a job...ie you might not get the first one you apply for - is thursday a set date or your due date -if your due date them you migh have a bit of time yet you could work on your CV now...

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 07:29:06

It's my due date, was gonna be working in dhs business plan today but just had a show so maybe not!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: