Talk

Advanced search

When should I start applying for jobs HR advice please....

(8 Posts)
LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 11:09:04

Am due to give birth on Thursday and want to find a new job instead of returning to my current position. But the big question is when should I start looking/applying?

I am looking at returning to work may time and currently work pt but need to find a ft job.

What would you advise? Tia

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 12:02:25

well as a job seeker I would say its a tough market - but depends where you are and what your sector and expereince is - but have some time with the baby first so after christmas at the eairlest - could you go back to your old job if you had to? and of course you will need to sort childcare as some point - which is complex if you are not sure what you are doing or when = anyway good luck with the birth -

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 12:26:38

Thanks. That's why I'm do insure I think. There is a chance I won't be able to go back as it a fixed contract that finishes in mar. Would still get mat pay though till may though.

It's not that I have a specfic role/industry so licky on one way but open to more competition I guess.

How long would employers wait? From closing date to start date what's acceptable?

lateatwork Tue 06-Sep-11 14:45:40

cant help sorry...but have the same question so v interested in responses!!

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 21:52:49

I think a couple of months from job offer would be possible as lots of people have that as a notice period

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 22:10:09

So literally the new year then to prep cv, go through app process and interview process?

An0therName Tue 06-Sep-11 22:22:02

I guess so but bear in mind it might take longer to find a job...ie you might not get the first one you apply for - is thursday a set date or your due date -if your due date them you migh have a bit of time yet you could work on your CV now...

LoveBeingIgnoredByMardyBra Wed 07-Sep-11 07:29:06

It's my due date, was gonna be working in dhs business plan today but just had a show so maybe not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now