Talk

Advanced search

My work have been telling my colleagues I'm not going back..

(6 Posts)
GlaikitFizzog Mon 05-Sep-11 16:31:41

So, I'm on ML right now and not due back until March 2012. I had a pretty rough pregnancy with SPD and was signed off work from February until my ML started in March.

I bumped into a colleague at the weekend and she asked why I wasn't going back. My bosses have said that I'm not going back. I've always had the intention of going back after ML. We can't afford for me not to work. I did say flippantly to my supervisor once that it was hardly worth going back because child care was so expensive. But that has never been an option.

I've been thinking about getting in touch recently to arrange going back after Christmas, but finding this out has made me nervous about contacting them. I want to go back on part time hours or compressed hours and I just know they are going to be awkward about it.

I should also say they were off with me from when my SPD kicked in with comments like "you're only pregnant" and "women go through this everyday". And they haven't contacted me once since DS was born. I had to phone my boss to see if she received my text 3 weeks after he was born. I've visited once and the girls clucked over him, but bosses barely a hello.

I want to get everything straight in my head before contacting them, because they will try to shaft me. They tried to over my ML and "forgot" to pay my payrise for a few months.

I hope all that makes sense I'm trying to get it all down before DS wakes from his nap. I need advise please smile

Grevling Mon 05-Sep-11 17:20:52

Do you have a specific question or just general advice.

As far as I can see if there are the following issues:

a) He said she said someone said you weren't going back.
b) You want to go back but PT or compressed hours
c) Bosses are less than friendly, unprofessional etc
d) There was a payroll issue

I'd deal with it as:

a) Nothing you can do about it. You have the legal right to come back either to the same job (< 6months) or an equivalent job (<12 months) other than that the boss can tell people he doesn't think you're coming back and while a really silly thing to say would be very, very hard to try and get any angle on it from a legal sense.

b) You have the right to a flex working request they have to consider it and have to give you a valid business reason for saying no if they do not grant it. This doesn't mean your automatically entitles to anything you ask for.

c) This is normal work place stuff. I don't get on with everyone I work with - from a regulation point of view there is nothing against being rude (though manners cost nothing!)

d) A HR/Payroll mistake doesn't count as a conspiracy. It happens.

The overall advice is to talk to them and take it from there. Read the threads on flex working request to see what to put in it.

hairylights Mon 05-Sep-11 17:24:57

This sounds very stressful. In your position I would ring my lime manager and say that you want to make sure they know that you are coming back to work, as x had mentioned that people were under the impression you weren't. That'll help you stop stressing.

BerylStreep Mon 05-Sep-11 18:01:32

Why not suggest coming in for a couple of keeping in touch days?

GlaikitFizzog Mon 05-Sep-11 19:35:55

Sorry, I knew my OP was rambling and didn't make much sense.

What I'm trying to say is combined with the way I was treated before going off (I felt bullied), now hearing that management are saying that I'm not going back I feel like I am not wanted back. I know they have to take me back, but I am nervous of the atmosphere I'll be going back into. There has also been a restructure since I left, so there would be no way I'd been going back to my previous position. I suppose I'm letting this grow arms and legs in my head.

Forgot about KIT days, I might just do that.

Thanks, I think just writing it all down has helped my get things straight in my head.

Grevling Mon 05-Sep-11 20:26:17

"I know they have to take me back, but I am nervous of the atmosphere I'll be going back into. There has also been a restructure since I left, so there would be no way I'd been going back to my previous position. I suppose I'm letting this grow arms and legs in my head."

Agreed. There is only use worrying about what you can change and others attitudes to you while you are there is not one of them. Its 99% likely there will be no problem when you go back, don't make this into a monster worry when it's not needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now