Talk

Advanced search

Changing work hours to suit school

(8 Posts)
bigfatgypsy Mon 05-Sep-11 09:19:30

I currently work 4 full days (28hrs a week) with Monday's off. Dd is 9 and ds is 4. Dh has tuesdays off and Wed-fri ds goes to nursery and dd goes to after-school club. (with me so far?)

Ds is now starting school so will also be going to after-school club wed-fri.

I can't decide whether to continue doing my 4 full days (and having Monday's all to myself! heaven!) or to ask if I can split my hours over 5 days but finish early enough on some if not all to pick up both children from school (sacrificing my Monday but hey)

I'd really like to be able to pick up, because I currently only do it on a Monday, but school holiday cover could then be a problem. I struggle with holidays already and do use the local holiday club but try to limit it to no more than 2 days in a week, muddling through the other 2 between dh and myself and grandparents. It was a big decision to go from 3 days a week to 4 at work for this reason. To try to now cover 5 short days during holidays would be even harder so I'm really unsure what to do.

I don't want to mess work about so if I ask to change I need to be really sure about it. Does anyone else work school hours only but in school holidays as well? How do you work it?

bigfatgypsy Tue 06-Sep-11 20:52:30

Bump

rookiemater Tue 06-Sep-11 20:54:48

Hi there bfg, I work p/t over 4 days and finish at school time on two of those days. For the summer holidays I just asked if I could do my hours over 3 days instead and they said yes. Would it be an option to do that?

Oh btw I love my Fridays to myself, well from 9.00-2.30 anyway. It is bliss to have a day to yourself if you can keep it.

tabulahrasa Tue 06-Sep-11 20:56:56

Don't forget Monday is the day they're mist likely to be off school - bank holidays and inset days

GeorgeEliot Tue 06-Sep-11 21:04:30

I do exactly what rookie mater does - but I'm lucky to work somewhere very flexible which trusts me to set my own hours. Sometimes I work a fifth (short) day in the week to give me extra time off in holidays; half term etc.
However i always find it tricky getting all my work done in just 3 days during school holidays.

rookiemater Tue 06-Sep-11 21:07:30

Yes GeorgeEliot I'm glad the school holidays are over. I hated having to get in so early and doing long full days well 8.00 - 5.30, ugh. Much prefer my term time arrangement, in fact next holiday I might just keep to normal hours and take DS out of holiday club early on my short days.

Bramshott Wed 07-Sep-11 10:46:18

School hours working is good because holiday clubs etc also often run for shorter days in the holidays.

bigfatgypsy Wed 07-Sep-11 22:59:29

It could be an option to do shorter days during term time but then reverting back to 4 long days again in the holidays. If I were to do shorter days though I'd definitely have to spread them over 5 days and lose my previous day off sad because I do 28hrs a week. I think I'll see how it goes till Xmas for now and then make a decision. Thanks for your thoughts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now