Talk

Advanced search

Flexible Working

(9 Posts)
KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 28-Aug-11 21:16:51

Currently I have unofficial flexible working in place. I am pretty senior and core hours are 9 to 5.30 with an hour for lunch. I probably have a lunch break about once a month. DH works away all week so a couple of times I need to leave at 5ish to collect DD from nursery. As soon as she's bathed and in bed I'm back working either on laptop or Blackberry.
My boss is leaving and I would really like to put something formal in place before she goes (second in command is child hating , presentee fanatic)
How do I go about applying and what should I write?

hairylights Sun 28-Aug-11 22:32:45

Have a look at your firms policy book - otherwise look at the directgov site which tells you your rights.

Grevling Sun 28-Aug-11 23:53:09

Really depends what you want.

Do you want to leave at 5:00 every day?

It would be worth getting them to agree to 9-5:30 with half an hour for lunch every day. Not that you have to leave early every day but you can if you wish.

hairylights Mon 29-Aug-11 00:24:43

Is there a flexi time system in place? Sounds like you arent doing fewer hours but this pattern would work into a flexi/toil system.

piprabbit Mon 29-Aug-11 00:36:03

Check out your firm's policy, but I think you have a right to ask them to consider your request for flexible working.
They will need to come up with business grounds for refusing your request, and as you are already working the hours you would like to have formalised it will be harder for them to say that the business can't accommodate your request.

Check out this site for some help and make sure that you make your case as solid as possible.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 29-Aug-11 08:35:26

Thanks all! I work many more hours than my 37.5 a week. We don't have flexi working, extra hours and no lunch are expected.
I only leave at 5 a couple of times a week but need to be able to every day if I need it. So client visits don't suffer thanks to good grandparents!
Will look at the sites and draft an email asking to formalise. smile

hairylights Mon 29-Aug-11 08:46:16

Don't forget to include that you already work over your contracted hours (so you are nit reducing) and that this suits the business at present.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 29-Aug-11 19:16:12

I will. Many thanks - will let you know how I get in!

fairybubbles Wed 31-Aug-11 20:15:30

Have a look at ACAS site, really helpful advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now