Talk

Advanced search

Time off for interview?

(6 Posts)
pugsandseals Fri 26-Aug-11 11:44:48

Technically I'm not at risk of redundancy & I have been bullied elected to reduce my hours from 50% to 30%. My question is, am I entitled to ask for an hour off to attend a job interview? I know they have to let you if you are at risk, but would be asked to reduce my hours class as the same thing in this circumstance?

Ellypoo Fri 26-Aug-11 16:48:47

I don't think so as you aren't at risk, but maybe if you ask then they'll let you under the circumstances - otherwise, could you offer to make the time up as a compromise?
The direct.gov.uk website may be more useful though.

hairylights Fri 26-Aug-11 19:03:33

No you'll need to take time off in lieu or leave.

flowery Fri 26-Aug-11 20:38:51

Can you not manage to fit interviews into the 70% of the working week you are not working?

pugsandseals Fri 26-Aug-11 21:11:45

Interviews are only being held on one day -sods law it's my inset day! I was wondering if my best idea would be to 'get a call' that DD needs picking up from school or something? The interview is at the end of the day so I could get there after school if only I can get out of the final meeting of the day (3-4). Better than missing teaching time for it surely?

Still not sure how best to handle the situation as my boss was pretty awful not telling me about my reduction in hours until the last day of term

SpamMarie Fri 26-Aug-11 21:59:50

If you have been told you are being made redundant, you ar entitled to time off for interviews.

Otherwise, you'll need to book it off as holiday if you want to be legit. I know that isn't always feasible though. I was lucky, my current boss was happy to interview me at half 6 in the morning, just so I could fit it round my old job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now