Talk

Advanced search

What to write in a redundancy letter for nanny

(3 Posts)
pecanpie Sun 21-Aug-11 09:25:57

I am in the process of making my nanny redundant as I am about to go on maternity leave.

I have provided her with a consultation letter as per guidelines received from my PAYE provider, which was easy enough, but I have no idea what to write in the redundancy letter. So far it is 2/3 sentences confirming that she will be made redundant because I will be at home to take care of the children, when her contract ends and confirming the last day of employment.

What else do I need to include? I assume it's dangerous to get into pleasantries in a redundancy letter.

flowery Sun 21-Aug-11 13:29:42

There's nothing dangerous about saying thank you for all your hard work, wish you all the best for the future, happy to provide a reference to future employers, etc

You also need to specify how much redundancy pay she is getting (even if she's not been with you long enough to get any, you need to actually say that), plus holiday, tell her how many days she has accrued and not taken and how she will be paid for those, or if she's taken more than she's accrued and you intend to deduct them, you need to tell her that as well.

pecanpie Sun 21-Aug-11 17:57:37

Brilliant thanks. The points you've listed seem a bit obvious now I can see them in black and white!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now