Talk

Advanced search

Changes to when holidays can be taken

(7 Posts)
bigbutton Thu 18-Aug-11 22:40:14

Dh has come home from work today with the news that his boss has decided to start closing the company for 2 weeks each summer, starting next year. All employees will have to take 10 days leave to cover this, in addition to the days taken for the christmas shutdown, which is usually a week.

Dh gets 28 days holiday a year in total, so the statutory minimum. After bank hols, which he also has to take, he will only have 6 days that he can take freely next year.

I know that employers can define when holidays must be taken but can they really just make a blanket change like this? Dh says there was no consultation of any kind, and almost all his colleagues are really upset. Is there any way they can dispute this, or stop it being forced on them?

nancy75 Thu 18-Aug-11 22:42:38

Can they make him take bank holidays from his holiday allowance - I don't think thats right is it?

Grevling Thu 18-Aug-11 23:07:22

"I know that employers can define when holidays must be taken but can they really just make a blanket change like this?"

Yes, they can. In reality other than organising a dispute (work to rule) etc as long as they are getting the stat min holidays the boss can do as he pleases.

Grevling Thu 18-Aug-11 23:08:06

"Can they make him take bank holidays from his holiday allowance - I don't think thats right is it?"

Yes stat minimum is 28 days which includes the 8 bank holidays (so 4 weeks plus 8 days).

PogoBaby Thu 18-Aug-11 23:10:09

DH is now a SAHD but his previous employer implemented this a couple of years back and everything I read implied it was entirely acceptable.

But I do agree with nancy about the bank holidays, I always thought these were on top of the leave allowance not deducted but I could be wrong.

Grevling Thu 18-Aug-11 23:21:58

Pogo...what you're thinking of is more jobs are advertised as "4 weeks + bank holidays".

This is the same as 28 days minimum holiday. You get the 8 bank holidays so to make up the rest everyone gets at least 4 weeks.

If it was 28 + bank holidays you'd have 36 days holiday a year....not even the public sector is that generous.

bigbutton Thu 18-Aug-11 23:25:11

Damn. I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. I guess the choice is whether dh stays in this job and we organise our lives around it, or looks for a new one. He just doesn't have it in him to work to rule sad

Yes, that holidays thing includes bank hols to make up the statutory minimum, so one less free day next year.

I don't think dh will stay, although it's a shame because he enjoys the job. His employer's a fool. I can't imagine where he'll find someone who comes close to replacing dh (I may be slightly biased).

Maybe dh should offer to stay for a giant payrise grin That way, we'll be able to afford to pay August prices for holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now