Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work term time only and get paid more in term time and nothing in the holidays?

(5 Posts)
phoebebouffet Tue 16-Aug-11 23:19:00

I'm currently on a fairly decent salary that is split equally over 12 months, but they are now proposing to completely change the way we are paid, meaning we will get more than we do now in months such as Sept Oct Nov and barely anything in Dec (because of Christmas Holidays) and the minimum wage in August. Frankly, I wish they'd just keep it as it is but they are doing it to avoid redundancies but I don't really see how it will help. The other thing is I'm currently on mat leave and due to return on 1st December so I won't have earnt anything in the 'good' months to compensate for December being a 'bad' month. Anyone got any experience of this? I'm just wondering how it will work tax wise and what the advantages / disadvantages are.

inmysparetime Wed 17-Aug-11 11:54:53

I work 2 days a week all year, but do overtime in term times, so my pay situation is the same as yours sort of. I always end up paying too much tax and claiming it back as I can't predict my overtime. Surely if they change your pay etc while you're on mat leave you should be paid the better salary for Oct/Nov even though you're on leave? You should not be left out of pocket, it would amount to discrimination on their part.

phoebebouffet Wed 17-Aug-11 21:52:52

Thanks for replying, I'm only on statutory maternity pay, they're not paying me anything. Can't see them doing that.

inmysparetime Thu 18-Aug-11 07:27:31

Could you get holiday time work e.g. A holiday club or relief holiday cover in a day nursery. If your main job aren't paying you I don't see how they can stipulate that nobody else does.
Would it make you worse off with nursery fees vs lower wage in December? If so, you might want to consider putting off your return to work until January, or returning early to benefit from the better months.
If you have term time only childcare, your wages and childcare costs should even out, is it worth playing the long game and working out your income vs childcare over the year rather than month by month.
Hopefully one of those things will help.

toniguy Thu 18-Aug-11 07:48:47

I think childcare costs are key. I assume you don't have a child' in nursery all year round - I imagine your children are at school which is why you want term Time work.' during holiday times you wont be needing before and after school care so you will probably find it balances out ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now