Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy and Stress

(6 Posts)
doobedoo Mon 15-Aug-11 17:56:40

Would being signed off from work due to stress increase or decrease the chances of being made redundant?
I am currently in a consultation period (again!) For redundancy and have been put in a selection pool.
There are no voluntary redundancies although I have expressed an interest to leave as the thought of staying and having to go through the procedure again in another few years makes me feel physically sick,

InMyPrime Mon 15-Aug-11 18:06:00

Hard to say: if attendance records were part of the selection criteria, then lengthy sick leave absence could work against you. On the other hand, if you're not coping with the situation and can't face going through the stress of it, you should prioritise your health over anything else.

Being off sick also might buy you some time if being made redundant now is not ideal - they have to meet with you formally twice before making you redundant - but legally, they can go ahead and make you redundant while you're on sick leave, if they have to. It's not ideal for them to do that and you might be able to claim automatic unfair dismissal if they did that but if you want to leave the job anyway, it's probably less stressful to just resign now instead of putting yourself through a legal process.

doobedoo Mon 15-Aug-11 18:23:48

Thank you.
I know what you mean about resigning now and it might come to that, although from a financial perspective that might be a bad idea as there is a chance I might be made redundant anyhow in the next 6 weeks and I have been with the company for a very long time.
I would not want to claim unfair dismissal. I just wish they would let me take voluntary redundancy as there are far better people than me who really want to stay!

Grevling Mon 15-Aug-11 18:40:42

Just make it clear if they were to make you redundant then you wouldn't be against the idea.

Although they select against a criteria they can be "worked" to make sure you in.

flowery Mon 15-Aug-11 19:36:48

Just because they haven't asked for volunteers doesn't mean they'd automatically refuse them. Ask!

If attendance is part of the criteria then yes sickness for any (non-disability or pregnancy-related reason) would count against you. But really, rather than agonise and hope, just ask if you can volunteer.

doobedoo Mon 15-Aug-11 19:53:12

It has been made very clear that there will be no voluntary redundancies. I haven't spoken to H.R. Directly but I have made my feelings clear to my line manager and his manager also. Do you think I should call H.R. Directly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now