Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding breaks , paid or unpaid?

(7 Posts)
HarrietJones Mon 15-Aug-11 07:24:47

my understanding was they were unpaid. I was expecting to use my flexi-time to cover them(am hoping not to need very long!). But I was at a talk yesterday with some women who were knowledgable about breastfeeding/lots of experience working with bf mothers and they were adamant that they were paid breaks. Up to an hour twice a day for full timers.

So I came home and did some research and all I could find were documents which said 'unlike many continental countries Britain doesn't offer paid breast feeding breaks'.

So is there new legislation or were these women wrong?

Grevling Mon 15-Aug-11 10:24:26

They may have been talking about their specific circumstances/company. I've not heard anything about paid breaks to breastfeed but I'm not the most reliable source of information at the best of times.

Marlinspike Mon 15-Aug-11 10:32:43

I would concur with Grevling. AFAIK there's nothing in any legislation to say that BF breaks should be paid - probably depends how generous (profitable) your employer is.

HarrietJones Mon 15-Aug-11 11:44:38

They were talking ingeneral. Neither were eligible themselves , one referred to a woman in the civil service and the other talked in general.

flowery Mon 15-Aug-11 14:10:30

No entitlement to paid breaks, no. See HSE leaflet for new or expectant mothers

HarrietJones Mon 15-Aug-11 15:03:04

Thanks , that's all I found , I was pretty sure google would have brought up something about if there had been changes.

Hoping I can express pretty quickly otherwise I'll be getting home much later than usual!

RamblingRosa Mon 15-Aug-11 15:07:17

No right to paid leave unfortunately. Lots of good info here. Maternity Action also have a very good helpline if you want some more advice.... 0845 600 8533

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now