Talk

Advanced search

how to present my CV for a "step up"?

(11 Posts)
specialeducator Sun 14-Aug-11 21:22:33

I've been in the same position at work for 4 years, and have recently decided to move on. But I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence about things - I almost feel institutionalised about the best way to do some things, surely not helped by the fact that I've been with the same employer for 10 years total (1 lower entry level role for the first six, then this team leader type position for 4, with a bit of side-moving two times in each segment, if you can follow me).

MY problem now is that I've seen a really, really amazing new role crop up in a similar organisation. Its salary band is from X - Y where X is twice my current annual salary. But I tick ALL the boxes, and in the last week (when I've been deciding if to go for it) I've realised I'm not sick with nerves about whether to apply.. I'm sick with nerves because I want it so much!

So, my question: how do you present yourself on a CV for a senior management job?

I've only had 4 employers in my industry, so hardly pages of work history.

I somehow don't feel it's enough to do the normal thing when applying (2 pages max, black and white, that sort of thing) and feel that a senior post might warrent the standard information plus a bit more "oomphf". You know, specific projects worked on, maybe a core bit of information about client sucesses I've gained - these are very big things in senior roles advertised i.e. show us you have success. They'll certainly be assessed in depth at the interview.

My husband is a graphic designer, so has recommended I present myself a little bit more professionally than just typing up a bullet list of jobs/education, something like THIS maybe?

- Would a senior post in a large organisation warrent such a "sales-y" CV, or should I actually stick to the more factual CVs I'm more used to seeing, as we recruit a lot of lower level staff and I have seen lots and lots of these types?

- Any pitfalls about senior level CVs? I don't want to add references in case I don't even get shortlisted, so is it ok to put "available on request" instead of names/contact details?

- What else might a senior level CV have on it apart from personal info, work history, education/professional certificates, a small "summary" at the top, maybe a picture of me...? Or is that too American? Plus the "achievements" idea I had (and explained) above?

I'm so nervous and don't want to do something wrong to get me put into a No pile before I've even had a chance to show them why I'd be perfect for the job sad

specialeducator Sun 14-Aug-11 21:23:54

p.s. senior management jobs not available in my current organisation (long story - basically a case of dead men's shoes), so i hardly even thought this was a practical option without moving house to be nearer to a more diverse employment area.

so i hope you can see why i'm so unprepared.

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Aug-11 21:25:41

Sorry, no advice but good luck and I love that CV template you have linked to! Definitely don't think it could hurt,if you think the green might get some hmms, then maybe a dark blue or even grey?

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Aug-11 21:26:01

let u know hpw it goes

specialeducator Sun 14-Aug-11 21:26:14

or even something like THIS is something my husband has asked if i want?

but i don't know! i've no idea what someone recruiting for a snr level position might be expecting here.

StealthPolarBear Sun 14-Aug-11 21:27:33

that one is far too brochurey for me, but as you say, it depends where you work

specialeducator Sun 14-Aug-11 21:28:26

StealthPolarBear yes they are very nice, but my DH has offered to do "something even better" (grin), I've no doubt about his ability to make it look nice, but he's been asking me what i want as the content. and that's sort of my problem. i don't know if to go for a hard sell, or if this would be a massive NO NO for a senr CV, and they'd rather the standard bullet list format!

specialeducator Sun 14-Aug-11 21:30:10

OK i will give more info - i work in events management (not too specific but gives you an idea smile), think large corporate events, but planned internally for outside venues NOT via an events management company wink i don't want to out myself in case a colleague is on here - lots of mums in my dept!!

Grevling Mon 15-Aug-11 10:29:13

Unless its an arty position stick away from flashy CVs. A normal CV will do your chances no harm but someone taking offence to a "flashy" CV will.

For senior roles I expect people to put.

- What I will do for you in bullet points at the top of the page. E.g. "I will put in place a plan to growth both existing and new business"

- Put Work history but focus on results not what you were responsible for. E.g. "I saved 50% off the cost of widgets".

Leave out the mundane stuff. Everyone knows what an office job is etc.

footstep Tue 16-Aug-11 10:54:47

I agree with Grevling. Don't go too flashy with your CV because somebody may take against it. Unless you're a designer, you want the CV to be about the content rather than the style. Make sure it looks clean and clear (I'm sure your dh can help there).

I'd put skills, experience, education (in that order). Very little detail about education or irrelevant employment experience.

Also agree that you should focus on results rather than responsibilities.

Your covering letter is really important. That's were you can really draw attention to what a great fit you are for the job.

I've had great results using advice from this book.

Good luck!

higgle Mon 22-Aug-11 19:09:24

I'm recruiting in my organisation at the moment and have had over 30 applicants for an administrative post (I know you are looking for something more senior) When we shortlisted for interview today it was the clear concise applications where the qualifications and skills put forward clearly met the job and person specification that got the interviews. Anything too long, too contrived, too gushing or too quirky didn't inspire confidence and after looking at lots of forms was also very irritating - keep it to the point and you are more likely to suceed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now