Talk

Advanced search

not an AIBU! Hospital based jobs

(10 Posts)
skybluepearl Sun 14-Aug-11 09:29:18

Not AIBU but more can i pick you brains?

I'm really interested in training to be a nurse but think i may have missed the boat as I've got three young kids, a DH who works long hours and no local family. I also would struggle with nights.

Can anyone suggest any other hospital based proffession that might work with all the above commitments? Are there other hospital based jobs that i can study for? Or combine training with working? I would also happily consider doing a supportive role in some unit - although i have no idea what type of roles are available. Any ideas anyone?

Sorry to post and run. Taking the kids out but will pop back tea time-ish.

didldidi Sun 14-Aug-11 09:34:34

is there a reason why you would like a hospital based job specifically?

OracleInaCoracle Sun 14-Aug-11 09:37:07

Why, why, why is this in aibu?

Ffs.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 14-Aug-11 09:37:09

Why, why, why is this in aibu?

Ffs.

holidayblues Sun 14-Aug-11 09:38:44

there are plenty of mothers who undertake nurse training. it seems to be a really common career to come to later.
i think you can do study part time but i think nurses are all degree courses now.

follyfoot Sun 14-Aug-11 09:46:32

Operating Dept Practitioner?

mousesma Sun 14-Aug-11 09:47:08

There are 100s of roles in a hospital so I think you need to be more specific about the type of role you want.

If you're interested in caring for people then I think the only roles that won't required qualifications are Care Assistant roles but these are usually shift work and require some nights.

Otherwise there are roles in these sections, some require training and some are entry level :

lab based or medical screening roles i.e. Phlebotomist, Radiologist etc.

Allied health professional roles i.e. Physio, Dietician, Conselling, Occupational Therapist etc.

Admin and other office based roles i.e. Patient Liaison Services (PALS), Information and Data Management, Receptionists, Secretarial/PA/EA, Finance, Facilities Management etc.

Domestic roles i.e. cleaning, kitchen staff, canteen staff, porters

Security

jenniec79 Sun 14-Aug-11 09:49:17

Nursing
Physio
OT
Radiography
ODP
Medicine

All degree courses with a greater or lesser degree of out of hours commitment.

I'd say there are more in nursing who come to it later than the others. There are opportunities to work PT/no nights out there though - things like outpatients, day theatres etc. but that's after you finish your training. Worth investigating though - why not get in touch with the work experience co-ordinator at your hospital (will be more used to having 16yo's but a good way to get a feel for the place)

Bearcat Sun 14-Aug-11 10:26:27

My friend did nurse training in her 40's.
Her kids were young teenagers at the time though.
It was quite hard going, but she did seem to get pretty long holidays at christmas, easter and in the summer. Not quite as long as university holidays, but more than I get as a trained health professional.

skybluepearl Sun 14-Aug-11 20:32:42

Thanks ladies, I know it's naughty to put this in AIBU but i knew I'd get some good responces from you gals.

Didldidi - strangely i was picking my friends brains today and she suggested researching more community type NHS roles.

Folly,Bear, jennie, holiday and mouse - thanks for all your suggestions and comments. I'm whizzing through google now having a look at some of the ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now