Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about working ft for the first time in 13 yrs.....

(11 Posts)
SenSationsMad Fri 12-Aug-11 14:29:28

Since having DC, I've only worked PT. Now DD is moving up to secondary, I'm considering trying for a FT post.

Can you please tell me some basic things that I don't know about?

1. What do your 11 and 13 yr old do until you come home?

2. What happens if they're ill?

3. what happens in school hols?

4. What happens to the mountain of washing and ironing (actually, I'm not really worried about thatgrin)

I have more or less been home for them when they come home from school, so things would have to change.

I've had an easy ride up to now but I'm ready to do grown up work now! Please help!

toniguy Fri 12-Aug-11 15:13:53

1) after school club or childminder until they are old enough to be left
2)same as with a part time job- ie take time off for ill children if necessary. Alternate with your partner and keep your fingers crossed they don't get sick often
3) same as 1). We had a holiday club that ran for a couple of weeks in summer but normally I use a childminder
4)what's ironing?

SenSationsMad Fri 12-Aug-11 15:44:20

grin

There are some holiday clubs around here but I have always thought of them as clubs for primary children, will have to look into that one.

It'll be a huge change for me, but I'm excited. I didn't even know I was looking for another job when I woke up this morning!!!!!!!

Nothing to loose by applying for it, but if I don't get this one, at least I know that I'm offically looking!

An0therName Fri 12-Aug-11 16:01:45

could they stay at relatives some of the holidays that can work well
there are normaly activities for part of the day for that age group - they might have to get themselves there and back - and then AL of course
some schools do homework club if there are not after school clubs

inmysparetime Sat 13-Aug-11 07:58:03

I am also considering FT, my kids are 9 and 7, but a management post has finally come up at the day nursery where I have been stuck for 2 years as the only nursery nurse with a level 5 qualification. I love the nursery, but have no idea how to accommodate 13 weeks school holiday in mine and DH's annual leave. DH can work from home with only one DC home, and we can use childcare vouchers for PGL holidays to cover 1 of the weeks.
They're not quite old enough to stick on a train to grandparents 200 miles away, and they're not that keen to have them anyway. Childminders round here are like gold dust, and holiday clubs are all miles away or run 10am- 3.30pm. I don't drive, and who on earth can work round those hours? I also want to give the kids time to relax in the holidays so not keen on all these clubs as they'll be exhausted by the time term starts. I'm planning to talk to my boss and see if we can work out some flexibility in the role. She's a reasonable person and I'm clearly the best qualified person for the role.

Bonsoir Sat 13-Aug-11 08:00:00

Get a cleaning lady who is around and about after school. She will do some of your laundry and all of your ironing, clean your house, make your family supper and keep an eye on your children.

SenSationsMad Sat 13-Aug-11 08:57:44

The job I'm trying for can be flexible which helps. My DP and inlaws will no doubt help a bit, but they live more than an hours drive away.

Bonsoir - that kind of cleaner sounds fab, where can I find one? smile

I really don't want to go down the route of childminders. I just can't imagine my 13 yr old sharing a living room with toddlers and babies. I think he's old enough to let himself in for an hour don't you? (he'll be in year 9)

I've filled in the form and will post it today.

SenSationsMad Sat 13-Aug-11 09:03:07

I forgot to say that the PT job I'm in now allows me to take school holidays off if I want. which of course what I've been doing for the last 5 yrs.

Before this job, we used to manage summer holidays by DH taking 2 weeks AL, me taking a different 2 weeks AL and a week each for two sets of GP. Not ideal, but do-able.

Bonsoir Sat 13-Aug-11 09:06:45

Advertise, with a very precise job description, in your local classified mag!

wearenotinkansas Sun 14-Aug-11 21:21:46

Gumtree is actually brilliant for finding childcare/cleaners/housekeepers. I've been freelancing recently and managed to find a great student to look after DD after nursery - and occasionally dropping off/babysitting. She's local, available at short notice and happy to have the cash. I probably had over 50 applicants for the job when I advertised. If you are in London you'll get hundreds.

SenSationsMad Sun 14-Aug-11 21:30:05

To be honest, I don't thing the wage will justify someone to be here 5 afternoons a week. I will explore the possibility of having a cleaner once a week though.

I'm in Anglesey.

The job application is ready to be sent in the post tomorrow.

Should I get it,( or another FT job sometime in the future) DD 11 yrs will have to stay at the after school club until I'm confident that she'll be ok at home, without fighting with her older brotherwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now