Talk

Advanced search

Can nhs trusts overturn agenda for change and stop paying unsocial hours?

(10 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Aug-11 22:32:55

as I've heard rumours that this will be the next step for many trusts looking to save money. Are some already doing it? Apparently the police don't get unsocial pay so the govt think ours could be stopped.

If it is stopped it will take my pay back to an admin job level pay so I'll leave. If I can get the same pay for sitting in an office I know which I'd rather do.

DottyDot Tue 09-Aug-11 22:37:01

Hi - as far as I know, Foundation Trusts don't have to use agenda for change - and as all Trusts have to become Foundation trusts in the next couple of years or so, we could start to see this happen more and more. Different Trusts will be able to set different levels of pay and terms and conditions...

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Aug-11 22:43:01

Bugger. It's so unfair that they're allowed to get round agreed pay scales like that.

monstermissy Tue 09-Aug-11 22:46:48

we have just had all our breaks cut, no breaks at all for working 6 hours and any break over 6 hours we owe them the hours. Is that the norm? if they take the unsocial pay on top its going to be time to look elsewhere i think.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Aug-11 23:04:34

We've never had a break. We work a 7.5 hour shift and get paid for it all. They're talking about making us work an 8hour shift and having a 30 min break. Problem is if there are six midwives who all have a 30 min break at sometime it's going to leave the ward very short staffed. And what happens on labour ward.? Because I can promise if they bring that in I will be having my break and it's the women who will unfortunately suffer. What's that you want to push? Ok, I'm off on my break and will be back in half an hour. Mmmmmm. I'm often looking after three people at a time on labour ward, we certainly don't have the staffing levels to cover breaks.

monstermissy Tue 09-Aug-11 23:13:16

we would normally get a cuppa in a six hour shift, lots of people have been to the union but i think it may just be a case of our hospital catching up with others then, we get two 20 mins in a 12.5 hour shift but its not paid now. we have to owe them those 40 mins. No mention of cutting unsocial hours yet thankfully.

learningtofly Tue 09-Aug-11 23:14:21

Hhmm interesting question, I might need to look into it. I would have thought they would need some union consultation first though before moving to a local pay agreement.

learningtofly Thu 11-Aug-11 22:59:08

Hi sorry to take a while to respond. I understand that it is true they can do this but unions should be involved in renegotiating terms. A strong staff side would help in maintaining current terms and conditions but no guarantees can be made. Hth

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Aug-11 15:43:43

It does help, thanks. I think it's certainly something we need to be on guard against.

DaisySteiner Sun 14-Aug-11 07:58:41

Hmm, the police get paid considerably more than frontline NHS staff though. There would definitely have to be consultation first. I imagine their argument would be that it will help to reduce staff redundancies without affecting patient care. I for one would be looking to leave the country pdq.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now