Talk

Advanced search

woudl i be mad to take a job with lower money?

(9 Posts)
slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 08:33:46

and should i trim my CV? it shows all my jobs. does it really matter?

the money is less - i would be home hopefully every afternoon. that is the plan anyway, so childcare would not be a problem.

but my current job is pretty crap. everything my colleague says and does drives me mad. there is one or two other colleagues that keep my sane. but the colleague who drives me mad is a little hitler. there is no proper job for me anyway since i am part time. it just doesn't work. my self esteem is low as everythign i try to do seems to take a battering from my colleague. i feel paranoid about her behaviour. she sucks up to the manager. so i can't go there.

so should i cut my losses. am scared of a similar job with same pay as am worried i might be working with horrible beetches again.

but taking a job with less pay, is that mad?

SageMist Thu 04-Aug-11 09:12:10

I have taken a job with lower pay, but also fewer responsibilities. It worked out OK as I didn't feel so stressed.

About your CV, I regularily rewrite mine (well parts of it) for each job application I make, skewing the CV to suit the particular job description (not lying, just highlighting the relevent skills).

In general though I think it is important to make sure a CV is neither too long or to short, I reckon 2 - 2.5 pages is about right for someone who has a long employment history (I have 32 years, its a struggle to get it down to 2 pages). You shouldn't remove jobs, because that would leave gaps and look odd, it's better to compress the job descriptions for older jobs.

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 09:17:36

oh thanks. it is 2.5 pages, so perhaps i should just leave it. <<lazy>>
thing is i don't seem to have enough responsibility in my job, it is not rewarding. i yearn for the days when i worked full time and could give it my all. but i dont now, and i cant.
so perhaps this change will be good.

dunkindonut Thu 04-Aug-11 09:19:31

I've been in this situation several times! If it's not a colleague winding me up, it's the boss or a client!

It sounds like you need to get out. How would the new job be different (other than the pay)? If you can manage on the money and it makes you feel better then it can only be a good thing. Money isn't everything. I've gone from earning mid 30s to minimum wage (long story!). Not sure I've done the right thing yet but I figure I can always go back to doing what I was doing before if it doesn't work out. You'll never know unless you try.

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 09:25:29

i don't know if i can go back once i leave, there are very few vacancies, however things are changing and the job may well be radically different and even less rewarding.

if the new job were mornings only that would be great. it is something i would have envisaged doing years ago, if only the money wasn't so bad. however when dc are older, and older they get quite soon, perhaps the current job would be better on a full time basis.
<<apart from the little hitler>>

dunkindonut Thu 04-Aug-11 09:38:03

I've always found that if something is working then something needs to change.

Perhaps the new job isn't right. Is there anything else around you could apply for?

I wouldn't go back to my old job but I would apply for jobs in the same vein if it came to it (god forbid!).

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 09:41:07

something needs to change, exactly

but perhaps a similar job might be out there. but same pay.
thanks

dunkindonut Thu 04-Aug-11 09:51:25

Just keep your head down and stay hopeful that something better (for more money!) will come up shortly. I'm often surprised at what pops up when I least expect it.

Very best of luck.

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 10:33:00

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now