Talk

Advanced search

Anybody ever tried these working hours?

(10 Posts)
Mrstryingtohaveitall Wed 03-Aug-11 14:25:33

Hi all,
I'm currently working 3 days a week and am a mum to a nearly 2 year old. Although I love my 3 days at work, for financial reasons, I may need to return to work on a full time basis in the next few months. I work in an investment bank which is a one hour commute from home. I'm trying to come up with ways in which I can spend as much waking time as possible with my LO and I wondered if anybody had ever worked in an office environment from 7 - 3pm? And if so how has this worked out for them? I reckon although I wont see my LO in the mornings, I can be home for 4pm meaning I get a good 3 hours with her every afternoon/early evening. I know it's an early start but these have never bothered me (I'm a lark rather than a night owl). I'm fairly sure my employer will go for it if I suggest it.

Any advice or views?
Thanks!

BranchingOut Wed 03-Aug-11 16:41:29

If you will definitely be able to get away at 3pm, then it seems quite good.

demolitionduo Wed 03-Aug-11 20:12:09

Hello, I've worked from 7am to 2.45pm for several years now. My twin boys are 13 now but it's worked well for me.

I actually go without my lunch hour (illegal I know!) to be able to leave at 2.45pm & do the school run. It also makes finding holiday cover a little easier as I'm home by 3pm, so not such a long day for anyone who has my boys.

The only thing that is hard going is the consistently very early starts (5.45am in my case). I am totally bushed by 8pm but my boys don't go to bed until after then now!

I actually do 4 days a week, so 31 hours which is as good as full time, but with a day off mid week to catch up on chores. It also offers some flexibility if I need to make up time due to the boys being unwell/inset days etc.

said Wed 03-Aug-11 20:14:22

I know plenty of people who work these type of hours (some start even earlier though choice! shock) So, certainly doable if not too painful for you

GetThePartyStarted Wed 03-Aug-11 20:22:42

I know people who tried to do this, but it was a nightmare as they never got to leave on time. In my experience it is easier for people to appreciate that X does not work on Thursday/Friday rather than X works until 3. Would you be allowed to work say 7-5 4 days and then have a day off with your LO? Cheaper as you would not have to pay for a day of childcare but still work a full week...

create Wed 03-Aug-11 20:50:04

I leave at 2:30 (don't start early though) and agree with posters who have pointed out that leaving "early" can sometimes be difficult. I'm often faced with "have you got a minute?" as they can see I'm putting my coat on. As my journey to the school for pick-up is timed to the minute I have to say no, sorry I don't have even 1 miniute, but If I had a bit of leeway, I know my professionalism would mean it was hard to leave on time every day.

create Wed 03-Aug-11 20:50:48

Could you do one of the days from home? That way you get at least one day without the eary start and would be home/finished earlier too?

wonkylegs Wed 03-Aug-11 20:54:07

I've never tried to do these hours but even on 8-5.30 I often struggle to leave on time, which is why DS is in a nursery 5mins from work so I have some leeway for those last minutes here and there and any awful traffic sad

Nineveh Fri 05-Aug-11 11:38:30

I work those hours in theory, although in practice I work 7-4, and sometimes til 4.30. It depends on the job you do I guess and whether you can just get up and go when the clock hits 3. One of my team also works 7-3 and she always leaves on time and I admire her for it. She's always on blackberry if necessary for an additional half hour as she journeys home but everyone has got used to her going at that time and never questions it. You get used to the early starts - who gets lie-ins with kids anyway! - and a very quick morning routine. I'm on the bus fifteen minutes after my alarm goes off to maximise sleeping time!

Mrstryingtohaveitall Mon 08-Aug-11 09:25:55

Hi everyone. Thanks for your responses, really interesting to hear your experiences. I'm lucky in that my job rarely means working past my hours (maybe one or twice a year if that) so it does sound as if it is viable. I just need to convince my boss now (easier said than done) PLUS get my head round going back 5 days. A difficult transition after 3 days. I will miss my LO so much but I have to be realistic....
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now