Talk

Advanced search

Starting a new job!

(4 Posts)
lisakell Sun 31-Jul-11 15:08:15

Hi, I have discovered I am pregnant this weekend but am very nervous as I am starting a new job tomorrow. (Ironically the job I have just left was with a well know Nusery Retailer - I'm trying to not think of the lost discount!) I have been recruited as the person previously in the role is leaving to have a baby and has already said she isn't returning. I'm only 4 weeks so I don't really want to say anything yet just in case but on the other hand I don't want to appear that I have lied to my new employers. I will be returning to work after the birth as we aren't able to cope financially without 2 incomes. I would really appreciate any advice on how and when to go about speaking to my new boss from any one who has been in the same situation. Thanks!

Grevling Sun 31-Jul-11 22:42:12

Just tell them when you'd normally tell them (most people do it at 3 months). You'll get MA not SMP and you may not get enhanced maternity pay but your employer will decide that.

lisakell Tue 02-Aug-11 19:22:32

Thanks Grevling - I've had a look at dates and it will be MA but I don't know anything about enhanced maternity pay, is this something I should know? Also, my probationary period is 6 months and I guess I know the legal answer but I'm worried that they will find a way to end my contract. Too much to think about in 1 week!

wearenotinkansas Tue 02-Aug-11 20:32:49

I agree with Grevling. It's really too early to tell them now anyway (imo) - and lots of people don't find out their pregnant until later on.

Your contract - or the firm's standard terms and conditions will tell you whether or not you're entitled to enhanced maternity provision. I suspect probably not in your circumstances.

I doubt they will try and engineer a way to terminate your contract. Firms hate sacking pregnant women - too much risk of a discrimination claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now