Talk

Advanced search

NHS jobs

(12 Posts)
MmeBlanc Thu 28-Jul-11 14:30:30

I have accepted a job with the NHS and start in the next few weeks. I am aware of the salary scale for the job but not what salary I will receive - am I entitled to be told this information before I start?
Thanks

scottishmummy Thu 28-Jul-11 14:31:59

congratulations on post.call HR and ask

Bearcat Thu 28-Jul-11 15:52:53

I'm sure you will get a letter with a contract to sign with all this information before you start.
If you've got a job now, I wouldn't be handing my notice in until I have received this.

MmeBlanc Thu 28-Jul-11 17:52:04

Thank you. HR have told me they are working out a salary but won't tell me when they'll let me know what it is! I don't know how demanding to be as I don't know my rights. Apparently they have eight weeks to issue a contract.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 28-Jul-11 17:59:15

You normally start on the bottom of the scale and have yearly increments.

scottishmummy Thu 28-Jul-11 18:00:25

no dont give notice til you return and sign contract
and do you need to wait upon crb clearance for post?that takes weeks too
appointment letter will give you salary and holidays etc

MmeBlanc Thu 28-Jul-11 18:14:49

I've already got crb clearance as worked for the same hospital but employed by the associated university - the same department is now run by the NHS so I'm switching sides. I think the university had me too far down the pay scale after discovering that more junior colleagues are earning more and I'm worried this won't be rectified. I probably just need to be a bit more patient but also feel it's not unreasonable to want to know what salary you'll be paid!

Knackeredmother Thu 28-Jul-11 18:23:35

I start a job next Wednesday and have no idea what my salary is, nor do I have a contract or know what my rota is. Pretty standard (if shocking) if you are a medic?

MmeBlanc Thu 28-Jul-11 19:17:13

It's amazing. I'm from Australia where I'm used to poor treatment by HR, but at least we got paid a decent wage. Most of my friends here with kids only earn enough to cover child care!

TigerseyeMum Fri 29-Jul-11 19:53:37

From what I have learned in the NHS they are a) unbearably slow at getting HR matters organised and b) pay from the bottom of the payscale unless you negotiated at interview stage to start at a specific point.

Don't hold your breath.

mousesma Fri 29-Jul-11 20:01:12

Usual practice is to pay from the bottom of the pay scale if you have not worked for the NHS in that band before, otherwise you would expect to switch jobs at the same rate. Have you been transferred by TUPE because if so it may be that they will take your old rate of pay into account?

CollieandPup Sun 07-Aug-11 01:29:08

Unless you are moving from within the nhs and are already on that pay band, you should start at the bottom and get annual increments every year, from the date you start. But you should wait for your formal offer which should clarify your salary before handing in your notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now