Talk

Advanced search

When should I tell my employer that I don't intend to return to work after mat leave?

(6 Posts)
Chocolocolate Sun 24-Jul-11 20:50:35

I will be handing in notification of my mat leave to my employer this week.

I will be recommencing studies in 2013 and intend to stay at home with my baby until then.

Therefore I hope to take the 52 weeks mat leave (so that I accrue as much holiday as possible) and then the annual leave days and then I would like to resign - without returning to the office.

Our mat leave policy says that I only have to give notice as per my contract (one months notice) but that I am encouraged to give as much as possible and will still be entitled to SML. So, do I write in my letter:

I intend to take 52weeks maternity leave, immediately followed by any annual leave entitlement for 2012. I would then like to terminate my contract.

Or, do I leave it until I am returning and give my notice at the beginning of my holidays, so that I don't have to go back?

If I tell them I wish to terminate my contract after AML, can they terminate it after OML (so that I don't accrue all of the holiday days)?

RandomMess Sun 24-Jul-11 21:20:49

I knew someone who ended up in a huge nightmare because she said she wasn't going back.

My advice would be to tell them that you intend to go back (and who knows what may happen - perhaps you will have to!) and hand in your notice as per your contract.

Grevling Sun 24-Jul-11 23:38:57

My advice would be to tell them ASAP. You'll still get your SMP and holiday pay they can't take this off you but if you're not going back then it gives them chance to sort something out.

There may be a temp sitting in your shoes who is waiting to find out if they are going to keep her on etc.

flowery Mon 25-Jul-11 19:49:37

I agree with Randommess. Yes it would be most helpful to them to tell them as soon as possible. But you need to think about yourself and I would very strongly advise you to keep your options open.

2013 is a long way away and all sorts of things could happen between now and the last day of your employment. You might decide you are very bored being a SAHM and want to go back to work for a bit before studying. You might change your mind about studying. Your DP/DH if you have one might lose his job or other financial reasons might mean you have to go back to work.

You may be very certain now but it's a long way off and I would advise you not to confirm anything for a while.

Plan your leaving date to be the last day of your 52 weeks maternity leave. Don't assume your employer will allow you to take all your accrued annual leave tacked on to the end of your mat leave. If your last day is the last day of your mat leave you'll still get your holiday pay but will get it in one lump rather than actually physically remaining employed but on holiday.

RandomMess Tue 26-Jul-11 09:16:26

Listen to flowery she is the expert.......................

The person I knew ended up with no-one paying her SMP for a while as there was a big argument over who was paying what etc etc I think she was entitled to pay above SMP but she wasn't getting it.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Mon 01-Aug-11 16:38:52

I do not want to go back, I will find another job, but just incase haven't said anything. I do feel a bit bad but then my family (and sanity) have to come first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now