Talk

Advanced search

Long time illness - scaling back work

(5 Posts)
moominthecorner Thu 21-Jul-11 18:13:20

Hi. What legal protection is there for an employee if they have a progressive degenerative disease? Can you expect continued benefits even if You cut hours? I'm trying to work out where my income is going to come from in the future....I've been with the company a long time btw. Any advice? Thanks

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Thu 21-Jul-11 18:20:12

My understanding but not an expert is a occ health report indicating dda is applicable, but that yes pay would reflect hours.

moominthecorner Fri 22-Jul-11 06:32:55

But they would have to continue with my employment?

flowery Fri 22-Jul-11 08:17:22

They only have to pay you for hours worked. In terms of keeping you employed they are not expected to do so indefinitely if you can't do your job.

What they need to do is make adjustments wherever possible to enable you to keep working, which might be adjusting your hours, duties or providing different equipment, or redeploying you to a more suitable job.

But ultimately if you are not able to work they haven't got to keep you employed.

moominthecorner Fri 22-Jul-11 22:20:22

(grudgingly) fair enough I suppose. Will have to go rob a bank now while I can thanks guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now