Talk

Advanced search

Booking paternity with shifts/rotas

(6 Posts)
iskra Thu 21-Jul-11 07:52:46

Dp is a new junior doctor & we are expecting our second baby. When DD was born he was a student so we hvent dealt with paternity leave before. His trust are happy for him to take paternity leave, but the rota master is saying he needs to book exact dates. Is this usual? I completely understand it is a nightmare for them to arrange cover without knowing the exact start date, but surely most people don't know when the baby will be born. What normally happens? Do you guess a date & hope it is right?!

flowery Thu 21-Jul-11 09:14:42

He needs to specify a date when he wants the leave to start, yes. However if the baby is born early he can start it then and his employer will just need to manage.

iskra Thu 21-Jul-11 09:43:58

Ah okay, thanks Flowery. Tricky, because DD was 2 weeks late, so Dp could have conceivably finished his paternity leave before she was born! I guess we might be best off specifying a date a week or so late to try to cover bases... Hmm.

flowery Thu 21-Jul-11 09:53:42

The deal is if he wants to change the nominated date he must ordinarily give 28 days notice, unless circumstances mean this is impossible. So tbh I'd say unexpectedly late-arriving baby would also count as circumstances under which it's necessary to change the date at short notice. As you say, it's pretty pointless taking two weeks paternity leave sat at home with you waiting for the baby to arrive!

RibenaBerry Thu 21-Jul-11 12:42:07

I normally agree with Flowery, but I don't think that's quite right. You have to give the required notice of taking paternity leave, but you can state that you want the leave to actually start on the date the baby is born (as per the HMRC suggested notification form, here) rather than giving an exact date. They will just have to schedule round your DH.

flowery Fri 22-Jul-11 08:18:19

Absolutely right, oops grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now