Talk

Advanced search

Giving up work...positive stories?

(2 Posts)
Klinda Wed 20-Jul-11 13:58:00

Hello everyone,

After a lot of soul searching and number crunching I have decided to give up work for a couple of years to look after my kids full-time (3 years old, 1 year old and another due in Jan). Previously I have been a very happy working mum, doing 3 days work a week with the kids spending two days at a great nursery and my hubby looking after them the other day.

To cut a very long story short it turns out that I cannot earn enough to keep my kids in nursery and in fact it was costing us £120 a month for me to work, so with another due in Jan I have decided to take the kids out of nursery and give up work for now.

My question is: have other people taken a couple of years out and managed to get back into work ok? I was fine with just one child and a great employer but I got made redundant when I had my second and could not find a flexible new job so ended up going freelance which was hard work but rewarding...but not financially that rewarding!

Just worried that with three young kids I am going to be stuck not working for years and years and although I love hanging out with my kids I do enjoy working a few days a week....so if you have a positive going back to work story I'd love to hear it!

Sorry for the mega long post! Thanks in advance for any replies.

Klinda

COCKadoodledooo Wed 20-Jul-11 18:46:55

Hi klinda

I/we decided when ds1 was almost 3 that the time was right for me to give up work and be at home for a while (various factors, but mostly just because I wanted to). At the time I didn't consider future career prospects, just what would work for us as a family.

It's now 4.5 years (and another ds) later, and I start a new job on Monday grin It's 3 days a week and it's not paying megabucks, but I'm really looking forward to being 'me' again (plus going to the loo on my own and having hot coffee wink).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now