Talk

Advanced search

DH working full time for part time pay

(7 Posts)
shoots Mon 18-Jul-11 21:03:18

Since being made redundant, DH has only been able to find a part time job. This was recently reduced from a full time post as it is public sector and the funding was cut. However, he is struggling to get through his workload in the hours he is working and has to bring work home and go in on his days off.

His manager says there is nothing that can be done as money is so tight but he is building up so much TOIL he will never be able to take it without getting even further behind with the workload.

Does anyone know if he has any rights legally? His manager is of the mindset that he is lucky to have a job in this climate and is not at all understanding or supportive.

Grevling Tue 19-Jul-11 08:48:41

As long as he's getting paid above minimum wage all he can do is refuse to do work outside of his contracted hours.

ajandjjmum Tue 19-Jul-11 08:58:11

Can he find another job? If not, it seems better to continue working and earning something until he can.

MovingAndScared Tue 19-Jul-11 09:15:22

hi - is in the union - or I would suggest he joins them - and get some advice about how to handle it in that particular workplace - then I suggest he need keep records of what he is asked to do etc, and then proritise as much as possible - and say to his manager what is most important - possible not go to meetings etc, say to leave non urgent things etc

shoots Tue 19-Jul-11 11:20:16

Thanks all - yes he has just joined a union so will ask for advice. He's looking for something else but nothing much around at the moment as his sector has been cut. I hope he can find something soon as living on 1 part time wage isn't fun especially as he's not getting the benefit of having more time at home with the family!

Grevling Tue 19-Jul-11 12:08:23

I take it you've checked out your benefits options?

ajandjjmum Tue 19-Jul-11 15:34:10

It must be tough shoots, but at least it's keeping his skills up and he must feel better about earning that being on benefits.
He should talk to his boss though and explain that he's simply not able to do all of the work that he's expected to within the time allowed. A little extra is one thing, but taking work home every night shouldn't be necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now