Talk

Advanced search

Help needed on notice period

(7 Posts)
cupcakeandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 12:26:31

I handed my notice in this morning as I've got another job somewhere else. I've been here for three months and was told last week by my manager that as I was on probation I only had to give a week's notice.
Now, HR has said I'm contractually obliged to work a month's notice.

How watertight is this?

I've landed a really good job that I've been hankering after for five years and they will not be happy at all if they have to wait a month for me to start.

flowery Mon 18-Jul-11 12:26:59

What does your contract say?

cupcakeandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 12:46:22

I don't know as the contract is at home!

One of my main reasons for leaving was the implied 'threat' from my manager last week that they could get 'rid of me' at a week's notice!

flowery Mon 18-Jul-11 12:48:49

Doesn't make any difference. Firstly as you've only been there three months they can get rid of you on whatever notice is in your contract anyway, and secondly you are contractually obliged to give the notice in your contract regardless of what comments/threats they have made.

It's pretty standard to have a month's notice so I'd be fairly shocked if your new job withdrew the offer because of having to wait an extra 3 weeks.

cupcakeandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 12:54:10

Thanks flowery.

I'll have to wait and see what happens.

flowery Mon 18-Jul-11 12:57:45

Why do you need to wait and see what happens? What do you think might happen?

Just check your contract when you get home and the answer will be there. If it says you only need to give a week, that's all you need to give. If it says you need to give a month then your leaving date is one month from today.

cupcakeandtea Mon 18-Jul-11 13:16:09

HR has said they might be able to waiver it so I only give a week's notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now