Talk

Advanced search

Mums who travel abroad for work - help please!

(5 Posts)
beanlet Sun 17-Jul-11 22:03:28

I have to travel abroad on occasion for work. My first trip since having DS is coming up in October - I will be away for 3 weeks, he can't come with me and he will be 15 months old. I'm going to have to have finished weaning him (he's BF) by then too.

Does anyone with experience of travelling when one has LOs have any advice on how to lessen the disruption and trauma for him (I don't care about me)? I'm really worried it will scar him for life, but it's my job and I have no choice.

MovingAndScared Mon 18-Jul-11 14:08:27

hi 3 weeks is quite a long time - any chance of dividing it up - skype could be good - but provided he is used to and attached to whoever is looking after him while you are away I would not worry too much - be prepared to be ignored for a while when you get back fine - and do some trial runs of bed time with out you that kind of thing

beanlet Mon 18-Jul-11 19:32:23

Unfortunately I can't break it up, but his Dad will be looking after him, and they're quite used to it just being them overnight - but never before for three weeks sad

mardarse Mon 18-Jul-11 19:42:38

Hi Beanlet,

I travel abroad with work too and although my trips are shorter I still find it hard being away from DD so I sympathise.

It really won't scar him for life, I promise. Someone may correct me, but at 15 months I don't think toddlers have any concept of time so 3 nights or 3 weeks doesn't mean a lot to them. He will be happy with his Dad looking after him and it won't be unusual for him so he's less likely to fret. I always prep DD and tell her that Mummy is going on a plane and I usually phone in the evenings, she's 2.5 now and will talk back but I first went away when she was 19 months so communication was harder!

I think it's harder for us in a way. I am always fighting back tears when I leave her and she seems to take it all in her stride.

Good Luck with the trip and think what a fantastic feeling it will be when you get back home to him.

CMOTdibbler Mon 18-Jul-11 19:59:18

I travel for work frequently, although I haven't been away for 3 weeks since I had ds - max 10 days I think. But ds is fine with it, and is very philosophical about it tbh - he says he knows I go away and come back.

I think the important thing is not making a big fuss about going away - I'm matter of fact about it, no leaving presents or notes, and we just have quick chats. Now he likes to email a photo too. DH hams it up about their special boy time while mummy does boring working

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now