Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long did you stay before taking ML?

(17 Posts)
ColleenEatsVeg Sat 16-Jul-11 20:14:09

Hi have a question. How many weeks were you before you took mat leave? I keep having this idea in my head that I could stay til pop time (office job, only a train commute) but know that might not be realistic.

GlassOfPort Sat 16-Jul-11 21:06:40

I worked till the end of week 36. I could have gone on one more week, but probably not more than that (I had a short commute too, but it was taking me ridiculously long to walk to the station, climb stairs to platform etc...)

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 17-Jul-11 14:24:18

38 weeks, would have done an extra week but it was too much hassle to change all the paperwork for the sake of a week.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Sun 17-Jul-11 14:43:43

I had a month with dd, well 4 weeks hold and then mat leave. With ds I am having 5 weeks, and finish work on ties grin

ChasingSquirrels Sun 17-Jul-11 14:44:41

33wks both times

tinker316 Sun 17-Jul-11 14:44:45

I got signed off at 28 wks by dr/consultant due 2 problems with DD

MrsRhettButler Sun 17-Jul-11 14:48:22

I was 30 weeks but I do a very demanding no sitting down 5pm til 2am shifts in a pub and I don't feel I could have gone on much longer but only because I had ridiculous pain in my feet and they were horribly swollen

michglas Sun 17-Jul-11 14:53:33

38 + 4 days. During the last few weeks my company paid for taxis to and from work, to and fro to maternity appointments. I had a pelvis belt and crutches due to spd, but i wanted to carry on working, and they were also desperate to keep me for as long as poss. I wasn't ill, I just couldn't manage more than 7 hours a day at work so had slightly reduced hours. They used to check there was going to be a first-aider in the building before I arrived in the mornings. This was over 10 years ago and I definitely wouldn't do it now.

breatheslowly Sun 17-Jul-11 15:03:13

I got signed off at 29 weeks and would seriously consider stopping at 29 again. I was due to stop at 35.

browneyesblue Sun 17-Jul-11 15:12:54

38 weeks exactly - I gave birth that day after I had finished work. I did plan to work up until the end though. My work had lent me a laptop and I was working from home, otherwise I would have finished earlier.

I was fairly enormous by that point. Even though he was 2 weeks early, DS weighed over 9lbs so I'd have struggled with a commute grin

tiggersreturn Sun 17-Jul-11 16:27:59

35 weeks with ds. I knew I was being induced just before 39 from pre-conception appt. Plus I was working long hours and was totally exhausted. 30 weeks this time. I'm expecting twins and am looking forward to going off very much although I don't feel as exhausted as the last time. It's always a bit of a gamble but it's difficult to change once you're nearer the time. I always believed it was better to go slightly earlier with everything in order for a handover than give a later date and have to give up early because you feel unwell and leave things undone.

Lizcat Sun 17-Jul-11 20:46:42

At 36 weeks as was due section at 37 +5 had I known the stubborn madam was going to turn and not arrive till 42 weeks I would have stayed till at least 40 weeks. I have a very physical job and honestly felt much better whilst still working, I blew up like a ballon once I stopped working.

MovingAndScared Mon 18-Jul-11 14:43:45

36 weeks with DS1 - he was 10 day late and I was v bored - 37 weeks with DS2 but took holiday - which needed using up- until due date -DS2 also over due but I enjoyed the time!
If you are feeling well and job isn't too tiring then I think 38 weeks is fine - mine had quite a lot of travelling and I had had enough!
if do go on till later make sure everything is ready for the baby before you stop work - at least the basics - somewhere to sleep, pram and some clothes - as I do know quite a few people who had the baby early when they worked later - its probably the irony factor that makes you notice it
also I agree with Lizcat think its important to try and keep active when you are on maternity leave - if possible of course - with DS2 I went swimming loads and did aquanatal and it really helped!

cornflakegirl Mon 18-Jul-11 14:58:51

39 weeks with DS1, 38 weeks with DS2 (although 39 weeks by hospital's dates). I had SPD with DS2 (but could still walk unaided), so it was harder, but I work in an office with a short commute, so still eminently doable. And I too was bored in the week before DS1 arrived, although second time was all right because DH and DS1 were around to amuse me.

notsuchayummymummy Mon 18-Jul-11 18:59:44

34 wks with DC1 as I felt truly crap (didnt find the reason until 39 wks) and with dc 2 I worked until 38 weeks.

I got bored with DC1 but hadnt switched off with DC2 !

mondayschild Mon 18-Jul-11 19:12:48

I took annual leave for a fortnight at 38 weeks - physically could have carried on, but wanted some time to get everything sorted and have a bit of time to myself. ML started on my due date.

In the end, DS was almost 2 weeks late so was rather bored after 4 weeks of being at home on my own!

Bumply Mon 18-Jul-11 19:38:59

37 weeks for ds1 and he was born 2 weeks early
I had planned for something similar with ds2 but had a longer commute that got the better of me at an earlier stage. Ds2 was then a week late.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now