Talk

Advanced search

On secondment and have 'compromised' my chances...?

(4 Posts)
Deesus Sat 16-Jul-11 19:21:47

Hi,

Ok, this may have been a throwaway comment that i'm reading too much into and i'm also worrying about this way ahead of time but it's been playing on my mind since i told my boss i'm pregnant. Here goes..

I work for a financial organisation in a technical role but have been wanting to get into operations for some time. Recently due to a reorganisation at work my operations manager asked me if i wanted to try a 6 month secondment as a team leader as a role had become vacant. Obviously i accepted and the role began. So far so good. I then found out I'm pregnant (surprise but a happy one!), waited till 12wk scan then told my boss. He seemed a bit 'stunned' and muttered congratulations. Fair enough - he's not much of a people person (even though he's the ops manager).

Then at my first appraisal in this role he said very early on that i had 'compomised' my position. I was a bit shocked at this and didn't really react. The rest of the appraisal went fine.

I am now worried that after the 6 months are up I will not be offered or get the job solely due to being pregnant. I know the original idea for the secondment was i would have a go and if things went well i would be offered or at the very least be invited to apply for the permanent position. I worried that they will somehow manage for this not to happen now and I will go back to my old job. My old job is ok but not where i want to be and the financial implications would be difficult for me too.

Sorry for the longwinded post and i hope the above makes sense. I'm just looking for either some reassurance or advice really...thanks for your time.

StealthPolarBear Sat 16-Jul-11 19:28:35

Is that comment recorded anywhere? I think you need to ask him, by email what he meant

Deesus Sat 16-Jul-11 19:32:16

No it's not. It's just something he said at the appraisal. I've emailed HR to ask them for a meeting so was thinking of bringing it up with them first but I don't know if i'm just reading too much into it or what. I think his main concern is i'll want to come back part-time and apparently this is not compatible with the team leader role. Tbh I don't know what I'll want to do at the moment...I'm only 15 weeks!

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sat 16-Jul-11 19:34:31

Make a note of it and ask hr about it. They are on very dangerous ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now