Talk

Advanced search

bank holidays accrued whilst on mat leave

(15 Posts)
NewYorkBellini Thu 14-Jul-11 20:32:14

OK, I know there are a lot of threads asking about this but I can't seem to find the answer.

I have worked 3 days a week, weds-fri since going back to work after having ds. I am now on mat leave with dd and plan to add my holidays that i am accruing now onto the end of my matleave. I have 3 questions

1) Can i add all bank holidays in 2011 to my mat leave (i started mat leave in jan) ? Or just those that fall on my contracted days i.e good friday and the friday of the royal wedding?

2) my line manager worked out that my pro rated holidays are 14 days. my full time holiday entitlement was 25 days (with bank holidays on top) Is this right? I'm not sure how it's worked out. I work 9-4 3 days a week with 1?2 an hour lunch break.

3)Since coming back off mat leave after having ds, any time a bank holiday fell on a friday i either had to work the monday or tuesday that week (which i couldn't do because of childcare) or take a days holiday. According to my line manager i have to work 3 days a week even if there is a bank holiday on one of my contracted days. Is this correct?

Sorry this is long but i don't want to be taken for a ride! I didn't know I could add bank holidays to my mat leave last time so missed out on quite a few days holiday angry

HarrietJones Thu 14-Jul-11 20:42:41

I work 2.5 days a week. I get half the bank holidays added to my holiday allowance. I then take holiday on BH from my allowance.

You should be doing something similar. Do you have a union?

DuelingFanjo Thu 14-Jul-11 20:46:36

I was allowed all bank holidays which fell after the 18th week of maternity leave.

NewYorkBellini Thu 14-Jul-11 20:47:06

I'm a member of unite. I'm going to call hr tomorrow about what i'm entitled to so just thought i'd get a heads up as to where i stand smile

sounds as though i've been shafted sad

NewYorkBellini Thu 14-Jul-11 20:48:02

is it different from company to company or is there an actual law that states what a part timer is entitled to?

MissTinaTeaspoon Thu 14-Jul-11 20:50:44

I work for the NHS and we aren't allowed to accrue bank holidays whilst on maternity leave sad

HarrietJones Thu 14-Jul-11 20:51:11

There's the statutory holidays which is 5.6 weeks incl BH

Icoulddoitbetter Thu 14-Jul-11 20:54:56

Accruing bank holidays whilst on mat leave, is determined company by company. My trust (NHS) doesn't give them, but a friend who works in a different trust got them.

As for BH's generally, they add on 3/5 of the BH's to your annual leave hours as you work 3 days, then if a BH falls on a work day it comes out of that. You don't lose out.

NewYorkBellini Thu 14-Jul-11 21:01:37

grrr, so i've lost out on holidays haven't I? so annoyed angry I'm definitely ringing hr tomorrow. if i don't get anywhere with them, can i go to the union? will they bother with this sort of thing?

HarrietJones Thu 14-Jul-11 21:43:06

Yes mine is v useful on stuff like this

NewYorkBellini Fri 15-Jul-11 11:11:19

i contacted hr this morning and apparently i'm entitled to 201 hours per year which is 28 days holiday! shock

this seems rather a lot to me, it's 10 weeks! if it's right thats fine by me smile It includes bank holidays which i never knew i was entitled to before angry

i now have to break the news to my line manager grin it would help if she would return my calls hmm

does this amount of holiday seem right? apparently i get more as i've worked there more than 10 years now.

For the last 2 years i've only taken 14 days a year!

HarrietJones Fri 15-Jul-11 12:02:44

I would expect it to be pro rata. Did they know you were part time? Otherwise get them to put it in writing!

Did you query the lost holidays?

flowery Fri 15-Jul-11 12:34:15

I will be very surprised if they've got that right. Is there no annual leave policy or anything in your contract about annual leave? There should be...

NewYorkBellini Fri 15-Jul-11 12:46:59

well i told him that i work 19.5 hours per week over 3 days.... I thought it was a bit much!

TBH i haven't seen my contract since i started in 2001 when i was full time. will have to dig it out or maybe get a copy.

I didn't query the lost holidays as i assume i'll never get those back. I might do once i've got my holiday entitlement sorted though

NewYorkBellini Mon 18-Jul-11 22:05:19

rang hr again today and spoke to somebody different. Turns out i get 147 hours which is 7 weeks which sounds about right. Apparently i get more holiday as of this year as i've worked there 10 years now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now