Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?

(6 Posts)
mumtobobster Thu 14-Jul-11 18:57:21

To cut a long story short...

Started a new job three months ago. It's ok pay, 4 days a week, 20 minute drive to work and I enjoy the work. However, I have some major bugbears with some of the HR policies that I think discriminate against part-time workers, plus a nine month probation period that means at any time they can get rid of me at a week's notice. Last week I had a minor run-in with my boss who i think is making unreasonable demands on the accuracy of my work.

The next day out of the blue, I got a phone call from a public sector organisation I've always wanted to work for and they've now offered me a job but......it's a six month fixed term contract. To make things more complicated, DH and I are planning to try for our second baby in the next few months (I hit 40 next year so time is of the essence).

Now I just don't know what to do. Do I go for the new job and hope the contract gets extended (the manager has told me she hopes it will be) or stick with the job I have now? I supposed I'm scared of ending up pregnant without a job!

Kaelle Fri 15-Jul-11 09:42:07

Do you know whether the six month contract is likely to become a permanent job? Or definitely not? Other jobs they could give you in that area, once they know u? Do you know what benefits come w the fixed contract.? As it's public sector, might be more generous than private sector. I would delay pregnancy for the right job...your 9 mo probation is almost like a six mo contract, ESP if you're not confident about hr practices...why not start w having a word w hr director?? And exploring PS benefits.?

FannyPriceless Fri 15-Jul-11 09:51:30

Don't delay getting pregnant! If you have trouble TTC you will look back and regret prioritising your job situation. <bitter voice of experiencesad>

How important is maternity pay to you? Which place offers the better package? If you have been in the current job 3 months then you may have enough continuous service when you get pg to qualify for any extra payments (check this - most employers have specific length of service requirements).

If you are worried about them dropping you during the 9 months probation (shock btw) then in a weird way getting pg offers you some protection. In a tricky employment situation my advice would be to tell them as soon as possible that you are pg, because then they know that any action against you would be interpreted legally as sex discrimination based on your pg. Hope that makes sense!

mumtobobster Fri 15-Jul-11 17:47:17

I'm not that worried about the actual paid maternity leave, it's having a job to come back to that's vital for me really.

Reading between the lines, there's a big chance the post will become permanent so I probably will accept it especially as there are more benefits with this new job than the one I'm in at the moment (inc more annual leave, childcare vouchers and no ridiculous 9 month probation period).

The other factor is that gaining entry into this area is really competitive and almost nigh impossible so I'd probably never get the chance again.

We were planning to TTC in October so I may well have an idea then of whether the contract will become perm and take it from there.

Thanks for the advice though!

Kaelle Sat 16-Jul-11 11:16:10

Dear mtb, sounds well thought through. Its horrible being unhappy or insecure in ure job, so if you have a shot at your near-dream job, i think you should give it a go. Also, I had dd3 when i was one mo shy of 43, so good luck on both fronts!! !

ChasingSquirrels Sat 16-Jul-11 11:25:21

Isn't the 9-month probation thing a bit of a red herring - as I thought up to 12 months they could get rid of you anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now