Advanced search

Child Care Vouchers - changing the amount sacrificed from salary

(5 Posts)
AuntMabel Wed 13-Jul-11 19:56:59

Does anyone know the rules on changing the amount I sacrifice from my salary for CCVs?

I want to change the amount for a fixed period, but have been told by my employer that I can't do it unless I have applicable "life changing circumstances" and if I do I can only do it once a year and to change back again I need applicable "life changing circumstances". There is nothing in my contract relating to CCVs.

HRMC may as well have written it in Latin for what I understand from the Q&A section on the subject. As far as I can glean, as long as I'm paying the right tax and NICs then it's between me and my employer how much I sacrifice and when.

I called the company that I get the vouchers from direct and they said I could change as often as I like. So I've asked them to change it, but this hasn't been confirmed yet.

I'm so confused. confused

sunnyday123 Wed 13-Jul-11 20:14:15

a life changing event can include needing less nursery hours and so reducing fees. This year i have changed from £243 to £180 and then £0 as my needs have changed - should be okay? Persist with employer. good luck!

Politixmum Wed 13-Jul-11 21:10:48

After he agreed by email, I am able to change DP's salary sacrifice and frequently phone up the CCV agency to ask them to give different amounts. There is never a problem in doing so. I think you can do it on the internet too. The only annoying thing is you can only make one change at a time, eg I want to pay our minder £150 over the next three months, then go down to £55 but I will have to remember to phone back in 3 months to make the change.

needshelpwitheveryday Fri 15-Jul-11 12:53:11

I was seriously let down by my child care provider and now have a shed load of vouchers and now way to recoup them - does any one know of a way out of this? Is it possible to get the money back??

petal2008 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:18:29

The rules regarding life style changes are made by your employer and not by the voucher provider. If your employer is quite strict they may limit changes mainly to avoid administration their end. For example, if your employer says you can sign up for 12 months at a time and you want to make a lifestyle change in September because your child goes to school they may not allow this as this was not an unforseen change - I know one company who refused changes like this and the employees had to continue to have the vouchers until their 12 months were up. Remember though, that vouchers can be used for all sorts of childcare. They are not just for minders and nurseries. Lots of after school, breakfast clubs, holiday clubs etc take them.

As far as unused vouchers go, ask your voucher provider for a refund. Some employers do not allow this as again, it is administration at their end, but most do. The voucher provider can refund the voucher amount to the employer and the monies is refunded back through your salary,minus the tax and NI saving you made on the vouchers initially.

It's worth remembering that the voucher provider has to follow the rules set up by the employer and HMRC so often their hands are tied.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: