Talk

Advanced search

Jobshare website?

(10 Posts)
Politixmum Tue 12-Jul-11 10:11:21

Anyone know of, or interested in setting up a website which allows professionals to get together and offer themselves as a jobshare? (Especially if you have computer skills, and/or live in Wales.)
I am an academic who is consistently knocked back by employers because I want to work part-time so I can see my child occasionally. I would really like to have access to a set of people in a similar position with whom I could apply together for ft jobs (they nearly always are ft in academia), and bump up our chances of getting into post. I think such a website ought also to do some campaigning to get the benefits of pt work better recognised by employers, etc.

TwoIfBySea Tue 12-Jul-11 10:20:15

If there isn't then I'd get on to making one pronto, you could be on to something!

Might mean you could run a website from home therefore spending more time near bub!

TwoIfBySea Tue 12-Jul-11 10:20:15

If there isn't then I'd get on to making one pronto, you could be on to something!

Might mean you could run a website from home therefore spending more time near bub!

TheFarSide Tue 12-Jul-11 18:47:43

I rang an employer asking if a friend and I could put in a job share application for a full-time post - they weren't keen on the joint application idea - they were worried that they might like one of us but not the other. They said they would consider part-time applicants with a view to matching them up with another part-timer of their choice. I do agree there's a need for a website/campaign promoting part-time work to employers though.

MovingAndScared Wed 13-Jul-11 09:47:48

I did know of one - they had some funding and they tried to make it self funding but it didn't pay I think - how about having a section on here - there is a nanny share section - if you post on site stuff MNHQ will consider it - and what drives me mad is that although many employers will have loads of staff working part time they will not think of advertising posts as part time -

MovingAndScared Wed 13-Jul-11 09:49:18

then I found this:

www.thejobshareagency.co.uk/index.asp

Politixmum Wed 13-Jul-11 10:44:07

Great! I am going to find out more about them - I've started registering with them already.
I might also do a bit of poking Unions, etc up the backside to do some more in this area.
Thanks for this, MovingAndScared (and I hope that by now you are MovedAndLoveItHere?)
smile

MovingAndScared Fri 22-Jul-11 19:36:23

You might be interested in these reports - a
www.womenlikeus.org.uk/policy/researchdevelopment.aspx

nd I have a contact in Wales that might have some useful thoughts - this isn't any thing dodgy honestly pm me
and yes have moved - keep meaning to change my name!

reallytired Fri 22-Jul-11 19:43:50

I think its a great idea, part time working is something the economy needs. There are so many groups like students, people in their sixties, carers who need a part time job. Its a no brainer that the govenant does not do more to encourage part time work,

I don't live in Wales, but I do have IT skils and I am unemployed as from 1st September

Politixmum Sun 24-Jul-11 16:27:19

This all looks good! Thanks MovingAndScared, and also reallytired. I have contacts at the Joseph Rowntree Foundation who have funded some of the research ...
Now that the state education system has selfishly handed my daughter back to me to take care of her I am a bit busy but I will keep on with this after your encouragement!
By the way, I emailed the website people to ask for a bit more information but they didn't respond. biscuit.
Be in touch! wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now