Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy - anyone ever contested business case?

(2 Posts)
upsetaboutwork Mon 11-Jul-11 18:44:06

Hi,
I'm potentially redundant. The union have advised me that I could (with enough solid facts) try and contest the business case tye are using to put me out of a job. I'm not sure whether or not to try this - I don't think it will make any difference in the long run, but I quite like the idea of making their lives difficult!

Just wondered if anyone else had done this and what the effects were - positive and negative.

Thanks.

Grevling Tue 12-Jul-11 09:51:59

You can ask them for the numbers that they will save by your position going.

I've challenged and been challenged a number of times on the business case. It will usually go that the union don't agree with the savings (they never do) but that doesn't mean the employer has to change their mind.

Depends on your job. If you're a receptionist and they no longer need/want afternoon cover then its easy to prove and not much point to challenging it as you will just get an e-mail saying "we'll save £x" which doesn't classify as "making their lives difficult".

If there 100 of you and they're moving production its harder and more likely to involve more work for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now