Talk

Advanced search

Can employer ask you to go to the Gp for a bloodtest?

(8 Posts)
Putthatbookdown Sat 09-Jul-11 21:54:50

Just like that Without any advice from OH etc How far can unqualified people go on your health?

moaningminniewhingesagain Sat 09-Jul-11 23:38:36

I think it depends on the context really - what test do they want you to have and why. Some companies don't have Occ Health depts and would direct you to the GP.

EG for previous jobs I have had blood tests for hepatitis and rubella immunity because I work in healthcare - normal. I wouldn't expect that if I had an office job though.

The GP is unlikely to send you for a blood test they don't think you need IME. And any blood test could only be done with your consent.

Putthatbookdown Sun 10-Jul-11 10:17:24

Right . I refused as she was just fishing.Also I had just had them in the hospital and my relatives WHO ARE MEDICALLY QUALIFIED told me the blood tests were extensive (for Methotrexate) Thereafter lots of fishing went on

moaningminniewhingesagain Sun 10-Jul-11 11:43:59

Did they tell you what test they wanted? Or why? Are they concerned about your sickness/absence?

Unless they are health professionals simply having the blood tests will tell them little - they won't have the ability to interpret them/understand what they mean. They could ask you to see your GP about your fitness to do the role.

But if you are on methotrexate I suspect the underlying condition will likely be covered by DDA law anyway, which may give you some additional protection in regard to absence problems. May be worth posting in Employement Issues too.

moaningminniewhingesagain Sun 10-Jul-11 11:44:39

OOOps you have, had assumed this was in health! sorry

Putthatbookdown Sun 10-Jul-11 13:37:06

No attendance or work performance issues.Management were supposed to send me to OH as Management noticed stress. They did not; sent to gp for bloodtest Gp did not question this. Blood test was clear though Gp didnot either say what hehad tested for??? I was not agreeable tothe blood test- it was done without my consent OH is anyway better with stress related etc than a GP

moaningminniewhingesagain Sun 10-Jul-11 17:31:57

Not at all sure why a blood test would be useful for stress, how odd. But the GP would tell you what tests were requested if you asked.

If you attend the GP and say you have come for a blood test, and hold out your arm for the blood to be taken then it was done with your consent, it wasn't done against your will, but ideally you would know what tests were being requested for it to be fully informed consent

buttonandjess Sun 10-Jul-11 20:49:03

would they have been testing your cortisol levels? These tend to be raised when under stress?

You should never have tests done though without your consent and without understanding what is being tested for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now