Talk

Advanced search

What do you pay your babysitter?

(12 Posts)
whatwouldjackdo Fri 08-Jul-11 18:54:31

We have 2 children age 4 and 12 and have found a very friendly 17 year old to babysit for a couple of hours every couple of weeks. What should we pay her? Our last babysitter charged £30 (plus travel) for 3ish hours which meant we only had enough money left to go to Mc Donalds!! What is the current acceptable babysitting rate? Happy to be reasonably generous.

flowery Fri 08-Jul-11 19:37:52

£10 an hour sounds absolutely extortionate for babysitting tbh.

£6?

mumincov Sat 09-Jul-11 20:34:59

I pay my babysitter(s) £6.50 per hour, rounded up for the occasional evening out, but she also helps out with dropping off and picking up from school a couple of days a week and I don't round that up (I pay that weekly in advance).

myBOYSareBONKERS Mon 11-Jul-11 21:44:09

I pay £5 per hour but this is an evening and so boys are in bed

ILoveUMama Sat 23-Jul-11 07:21:47

I pay $5 and hour if it is at night and minimum wage is $7.50 where I live so that is what I pay during the day. I adds up quick though. A friend of mine pays $10/hr, but she has a well paying job and has strict rules for her girls that she wants followed so her philosophy is that if she pays alot you have no excuse to not follow her rules and her babies better be treated like fine china.

Clarence15 Sat 23-Jul-11 14:05:10

I pay my 16yr old babysitter £15 an eve, we normally go out about 8 and are back by 11.30.

Politixmum Sun 24-Jul-11 16:22:43

The going rate around us is £20 for a night. However our babysitter is so lovely, and our neighbour's daughter. On the rare occasions we can get energy, time and money together to go out I give her £30. We don't have a limit on how many hours that is - I take it that we've paid for the evening. But as she is a young girl (about 16), I wouldn't stay out till all hours if she is taking care of our daughter. smile

SandStorm Sun 24-Jul-11 16:25:04

I pay £6/hr during the evening and £8/hr during the day. My babysitter is a fully qualified nanny and has all the paediatric first aid etc.

SenoritaViva Sun 24-Jul-11 16:31:56

16 / 17 year olds round here (have a list!) £6.50, but that would go up to £7 per hour after midnight. We live in Oxfordshire as up north or west might be cheaper (as wages generally decrease) but London might be higher which might be why you pay so much?

Mollymax Sun 24-Jul-11 16:36:58

I work for Sitters and get the minimum wage.... £6 an hour.
We are all child care qualified, crb check etc.
So i would not pay a teenager any more than minimum wage.

Funky2sarah Wed 27-Jul-11 09:39:40

Hi all,

As a qualified nanny in the Surrey area I charged £8-£10/hr depending on number of children and if they are awake or asleep and time to start etc.
I dont charge for travel time or extra past 11/midnight.
At the end of the day I have 17yrs experience, life experience, Im a mum of 1, NNEB, CRB and First Aid which most 16/17yr olds arent so hence the difference in price.
Saying that I dont pay a babysitter if I go out as our son often comes or GPs look after him, I cant afford to pay someone. Once I did ask a friend, so I left her a bottle of wine and gave her some choccys.
Hope this helps
x

BerylStreep Sun 31-Jul-11 22:47:53

we pay £5 per hour which usually works out at £25 a night. We always round up, but don't normally pay travel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now