Talk

Advanced search

Agenda for change career break?

(5 Posts)
pipsy76 Fri 08-Jul-11 11:33:52

Hi, quick question for all you agenda for change buffs ( I certainly don't understand it!). I'm currently very fortunate to have a 8a job and have reached the top of my band but am thinking of working in oz for a year. If I then returned to the NHS and work temporarily as a 6 or 7 if I were to find another 8a job would I need to return to the bottom of the banding again?

pipsy76 Fri 08-Jul-11 12:28:50

Grevling Fri 08-Jul-11 14:14:48

Why not ask HR.

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 08-Jul-11 22:16:39

I think you tend to only be able to keep your position on the spine point when moving from the same band to band. If you've worked at lower bands then get an 8a again then it may count against you. Obviously there's nothing stopping you negotiating the same spine point but the current financial position of many hospitals (at least for mine!) means its a straight transfer or the bottom point.

Have you considered if you have enough service at your current employment to apply for a sabbatical or career break?

twinklytoes Fri 08-Jul-11 23:38:11

check your special leave policy - ours you can apply after a year's service and can request up to 5 yrs out. the restrictions are akin to maternity leave. if you are out for under a year then you keep the job you have at the point you are leaving i.e. the exact 8a you are in now. anything over a year you are to be put back into an equivalent post at the band you left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now