Talk

Advanced search

Part-time request - help me find good reasons!!!

(5 Posts)
tostaky Thu 07-Jul-11 12:00:10

I am doing 4 days a week and I would like to change this to 3 days a week. I am setting up my own business and need more time, however I don’t want to tell my employer that this is the reason.
What can I say to make it more likely to be accepted??

Would something along the line of:
- 3 days a week for the next 6 months because of difficulty of coping with childcare arrangements (two little ones at different nurseries)?
Any ideas? What worked for you?

Thank you!

BerylStreep Thu 07-Jul-11 15:26:47

TBH I think lying about this undermines your credibility and your ethics. If your employer found out you could be disciplined.

It also ruins it for everyone else, who may genuinely have childcare difficulties.

bringinghomethebacon Thu 07-Jul-11 15:30:00

As far as I understand flexible working requests are not based on your reasons and you have no duty to disclose them, but the employer has a duty to consider your request and it is up to you to show how your request is manageable for your employer and enables them to continue to meet their business needs. They can only refuse on business reasons. Its actually nothing to do with your employer as to why you are asking (although they might ask) but I would check your contract for non-compete clauses if you are setting up a business in a similar area!

TheFarSide Tue 12-Jul-11 21:20:43

You want a better work/life balance?

fluffles Tue 12-Jul-11 21:27:44

it has to be based on the fact that you genuinely believe that the essential bits of your job could be done in 3 days a week and the other day is non-essential.
OR
that your job actually takes 5 days a week so you want to job-share it by reducing your hours... (you might have to go down to 2.5days to make this work)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now