Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Filling out job application forms

(10 Posts)
cardy Wed 06-Jul-11 17:25:30

I am completing a job application form (public sector job) and was wondering the best approach to take.

It is clear that I need to address all the criteria in the person spec...e.g delivering identified goals, delivering high levels of customer service etc etc..

Now the question is, shoud I just write a general statement which addresses the person spec or should I give examples under each individual criteria (there are 22 in all!)...could end up being fairly long. The trouble is with addressing each individually is that there is some overlap and it could get very long. This isn't my first application sad and I have used both approaches in the past.

Anybody in HR or recruitment that can advise please?

Snowdropbooks Wed 06-Jul-11 18:15:58

Group two or three together and cut and paste into a grid, then provide an example of evidence that shows you meet these criteria use bullet points. Do this again and again until all are covered. Either write a statement now using the bullet points but in sentences or if they don't insist send the grid. Equal pops means the shortlisting panel will award points for each piece of evidence against criteria so make it easy for them. Also remember you don't need to repeat what is elsewhere in your CV. Use good examples. A good application can take 2 days to complete, go buy some chocolate. Good luck.

didldidi Wed 06-Jul-11 18:19:06

surely the cv will be erroneous as op is completing an application form?

cardy Wed 06-Jul-11 21:52:22

Thanks, so bullets and not full sentences/paras are acceptable?

It's a full application form so CVs not accepted.

fivegomadindorset Wed 06-Jul-11 22:00:57

Hello

I have an interview for a public sector job tomorrow. I looked at job secification rather than person spec and replied to that one rather than person one IYSWIM. Much shorter.

Good luck.

magicmummy1 Thu 07-Jul-11 20:06:30

I do lots of recruitment, and I love candidates who make the shortlisting easy by making it really obvious how they meet the criteria set out in the person spec! Having said that, I do shortlist other candidates who cover these points in a single personal statement. smile

I hate it when people can't be arsed to fill in the application form properly and refer us to their CVs instead - tells me they are lazy, can't follow instructions and probably don't want the job that much. I don't even look at the CVs, and these candidates go straight in the "no" pile. (We do specify that application forms must be fully completed.)

Fivegomad, I wouldn't recommend focusing on the JD next time, as most employers will shortlist according to the person spec only. The JD should be linked to this anyway, but it's a much safer bet to go by the person spec. Good luck with the interview! smile

And OP, good luck with your application!

fivegomadindorset Thu 07-Jul-11 21:19:44

Thanks for the tips, I am a pants interviewee so not holding out hope.

BarkisIsWilling Thu 07-Jul-11 21:30:43

Cardy, are the criteria not marked as essential or even A (application) I (interview)? If they are, then focus on responding to those.

FGM, prepare to demonstrate how your skills, experience and knowledge fit the PS. Also read the JD and PS together, and find instances of how you can perform in tasks expected of the postholder.

Good luck.

cardy Thu 07-Jul-11 22:04:35

Thanks all. I've just about completed the application. I tried to address each point on the person spec, essential and desirable as I do have experience of all. DH is proof reading at the moment. Fingers crossed.

magicmummy1 Thu 07-Jul-11 22:25:17

yy proofreading is good. I'm always amazed that so many people just don't bother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now