Talk

Advanced search

Will my WTC, CTC and HB increase if I go part time? I am leaving my full time job?

(15 Posts)
sassyminder Tue 05-Jul-11 15:43:26

I am asking this on behalf of a friends husband, can anyone help?

He currently works in a kitchen 50+ hours a week to earn around £1300 after tax, he feels that this is a lot of hours for not enough money to support his family in London. He wants to get a part time less paid job to recover his health and have the time to look for a full time job that suits him better (reasenobale hours and fair pay) he is worried with bills, will his benefits increase? Even tough if he is the one who hands in the notice for the full time to get the part time job? His wife does not work at the moment and they have a school age child.

Anyone can answer please?

hairylights Tue 05-Jul-11 17:03:07

Unlikely, as he's voluntarily giving up his job. Benefits aren't there for this purpose. They are there for people who can't find work or who can't work.

sassyminder Tue 05-Jul-11 20:24:17

Hi Hairylights thanks for your answer. he is not giving up jobs he is changing jobs. He is looking into 25/hour weekly job for around £800 instead of the 50+/hour weekly one that pays £1300. I dont think it is easy work in a kitchen for 12 hours a day for less the minimum wage (if you do the maths) so I kind of understand why he wants to do it.
Plus he isn't an illegal immigrant who is saring a room with 10 other people and sending money home is British by birth and ancestry and he is supporting his family which he cant hardly see because of working hours...

lateatwork Wed 06-Jul-11 06:40:56

hello... i dont have much experience here, but did recently complete an on line form from one of the govt websites that calculated how much benefits etc we would receive when / if my redundancy went through. you could add in total household income- so am sure if you wanted to compare say the £1300 vs £800 salary you could. Cant remember what the site was, but start with direct.gov.uk and i am sure you will be able to locate.

fatfingers Wed 06-Jul-11 08:41:33

Have a look at www.entitledto.co.uk

flowery Wed 06-Jul-11 09:32:04

If he is the sole breadwinner for his family he's not really in a position to give up full time work for a part time job is he? If the family are in a decent enough financial situation for his wife to be able to stay at home even though their child is at school they are fortunate, but I think expecting the taxpayer to then pick up the tab for him to work part time is a bit much and I'd be surprised if that were to happen.

Any reason he can't look for a different full time job?

slartybartfast Wed 06-Jul-11 09:36:34

entitled to is the best website

hairylights Thu 07-Jul-11 07:51:57

He is deliberately reducing his income. Benefits are not there for that purpose.

Your comments about immigrants are foul and irrelevant.

sassyminder Thu 07-Jul-11 13:35:58

I am an immigrant and I made that comment because not only on MN but in other sites alike sometimes there are threads and posts about how the immigrants are taking england over, stealing jobs, fidling the benefit system and pushing the house prices up...so I just wanted to say that is this particular case, the man in question is harding work (50+ hours in a kitchen) and jis having health problems so he would rather go part time and recover and find a new full time job which can take time (you know??) than get worse and go on a sick /disability pay altogether. How someone who works 50+ hours during the week are supposed to apply online for jobs, go to the job centre, go to interviews and day trials?? As as I know our local jobcentre does not open on weekends.
Do you really think that working 50+ in a kitchen for £1300 in London is a good deal?? Are you in London Hairylights, do you know how much rent and commute costs in London?

sassyminder Thu 07-Jul-11 13:40:08

The child is on part time nursery going to reception from september and that is why she is not working at the moment and she is also looking for a full time jog as he will do the part time and he will do the school run. I can see why she is out of work, you have to be bloody well paid to be able to pay for nanny/childminder and commute in London so she is at the very moment better off not working as nursery is only from 9-12 am. the only thing is they are worried they will have some help from benefits until everything falls in place..

playftseforme Thu 07-Jul-11 13:42:18

I have taken annual leave in the past when attending interviews/finding work, while in a full time job. Most of my friends have done the same. It is not unusual. We are all London based and cannot afford to go part time while looking for a more appealing full time job.

sassyminder Thu 07-Jul-11 13:52:48

oh ok I will suggest this, thank you

flowery Thu 07-Jul-11 13:57:08

Loads of people work 50 hours a week and apply for jobs. 50 hours a week is the equivalent of working, say, 8am - 6.30pm with half an hour for lunch. It's pretty long hours but not unusually so.

He doesn't work 7 days a week presumably, so can apply for jobs at the weekends/whatever days he doesn't work. If he works literally the same hours as the job centre is open he can take annual leave to go there, or even ring in sick (not recommended but as a last resort he could).

I don't think anyone is saying his pay and hours are a 'good deal'. But just because someone is working long hours with little pay doesn't mean they taxpayer should pay for them to reduce their hours.

sassyminder Thu 07-Jul-11 14:26:06

Hi there. He works from 8am until 10pm with weekends off. So I said is 50+. He has got the odd day when he starts at 10 am or finish at 4 but this in unpredictable and not usual.
He wakes up at 7am to go to work and he gets home at 11pm, sometimes late if service is busy.
There are real benefits cheats out there having a better life than this guy, I repeat, this does not seem to be the case.
He is nearly having a breakdown . as says his wife.

flowery Fri 08-Jul-11 13:07:47

What doesn't seem to be the case? confused

I don't think the argument that benefit cheats have a better life than people who work hard to support their family is relevant tbh.

What's confusing me is the desire to work part time and the feeling that taxpayers should support that decision. Yes his job sounds horrendous and he should look for alternative work. But why part time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now